How does your financial situation affect your relationship with your boyfriend/husband?

My fiancé and I have never been in a decent financial situation. Lately it seems like its getting worse. We can’t do the nice things together like, going out to eat, doing activities we both enjoy, or going on just a mini vacation. This problem is really affecting our relationship because we are both stressed out about money and both we wish we could just spend a nice weekend together just the two of us a hotel. I am sure I am not alone here. I am just wondering how your financial situation is affecting your relationship... in what ways. If anyone would like to share that would be great. I think its nice knowing someone out there is struggling with the same problem as you are right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• i wish extra money was my issue! i have 4 kids and i won't leave them with just anybody and my fam hate their dad so fam babysitting for me is a shot in the dark. if i had the paitience we'd go to the dollar movie, o go look for used dvd's. put the kids to bed, light candles, make you 2 a special late dinner served in neglige!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• We find ways to do things that don't cost a lot of money or that's free.

That being said, we're going to spend the weekend this weekend in a hotel in Virginia Beach. But we're taking the kids and the hotel stay isn't costing us anything... It's a mandatory Army thing.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• We started off in a camper the size of a truck and are buying a house next year. We've come a long way and we worked for it. Turning our bad financial situation into a good one has made us grow stronger as a couple.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Being a newlywed & a young couple my husband & I had the same exact problem. He is the only 1 working & took care of all the finances. It was a strain on our relationship & reasons for all our arguments.

But now things changed, We changed how many times we went out, ate out, etc... Made a weekend budget on how much we were going to spend and on what. saved some away for a rainy day, and paid bills with the rest. I even took over paying bills and the finances that way i could understand how much we have and what we want. its been easier since and so far we have more security in our finances and stability in our relationship
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• oh, I hear you with the money thing, ds and I are stressed right now, he just got laid off again, and our stress does come out snappy sometimes, but we try to talk about it, and support eachother and remind eachother that we'll get through this. For our "dates" we watch a tv show or movie online after the baby goes to bed. Every now and again I'll just get a frozen pizza for dinner, like 3 dollars, and we'll call it a date night.
    Anonymous