Speaking in tongues?

Do you or people at your church speak in tongues during your congregation? I don't mean to sound critical, but they do in my my FIL's church and it just basically sounds like they are babblling. I'm just curious to hear others' experience and feelings about it.
I've also heard there is a verse in the bible that forbids speaking in tongues unless there is an interpretor present. Is this true?

moniquinha

Asked by moniquinha at 8:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Glossolalia is babbling and comes from a misinterpretation of Acts 2. No, it is not practiced in my church, if it were I would not be there.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I went to my aunt's chuch once and they started that stuff.. I started to feel nauseated like God was telling me that this was no place for me and that this is definitely not of God.
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• The purpose of "the gift of tongues" was for spreading the Gospel to those who wouldn't otherwise hear it. Basically what happened in Acts 2 is that people were preaching in one language (say, Greek) but the room was full of people who spoke many other languages, but they each heard the Gospel in his own language.
    The instance many use is 1 Corinthians 14:14 where Paul says,"For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful". Paul is really saying that if we pray out loud, we should either pray so others around us can understand or else be quiet.
    If the verses are read within context, they are easily understood. It's hard to gain true understanding when we believe only what others tell us. We should all study the Bible ourselves.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:02 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• i've heard it and yes it sounded like a whole lot of babble and weird screeching. I always thought what the hec is that..but never associated it with coming from God. i've never heard that anywhere outside of a church
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:26 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I'm with Lexylex and backing what she says 100%. I have friends who were taken to a non-denom church as children after their father converted from catholicism. The whole experience was confusing and scary to them and they felt pressured to fake it in order to fit in. They spent most of their adult life running from God because of their childhood experiences and doubting God's very existence because of the fakery they witnessed. For this reason I believe not only is this in error but it is wrong and it leads people in the wrong direction.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• anon, it's NOT fake. Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, repent, and be baptised everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ, for the remision of sins and ye shall recieve the gift of the Holy Ghost
    Acts 10:44-46 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. [45] The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. [46] For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.
    Acts 19:6 When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied.
    The Scriptural conclusion? The baptism with the Holy Spirit is a unique New Testament experience. And it has a unique initial evidence — speaking in tongues!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• What is the purpose of the body of Christ? It is definitely not to exclude others with the use of our gifts. (Assuming that everyone who speaks in tongues has that gift) What is the purpose of going to church? It is not to display said gifts. This is the type of thing that divides the body of Christ and causes disbelief to those who do not know him. It breeds an environment that is not salt and light to the lost and not welcoming to newcomers, at the least.
    Anonymous

• There was a question a while ago from someone who caught the pastor and a few church members choreographing who would fall on the floor and who would start speaking in tongues at which points during the service to get the best effect. If you see it at your church, don't trust it unless you were with everyone involved for at least 24 hrs before hand to know they didn't plan it.
    Anonymous

• Mark 16:15-17 He [Jesus] said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues.

These verses are an excerpt of Mark’s account of Jesus’ Great Commission. It was Jesus Himself who initiated the subject of speaking in tongues in the New Testament. He said that it would be a “sign” that would accompany believers as they went into all the world and preached the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
    Anonymous

now that's fake, obviously. but at our church, we even have new people come show up out of the blue, and they end up speaking in tongues, falling on the floor, praising God. The presence of God is so powerful, it's hard to ignore it.

now i will say this: DON'T YOU DARE SAY SPEAKING IN TONGUES IS FAKE. IF YOU'VE EVER DONE IT YOU WOULD KNOW IT IS NOT. ONLY THOSE WHO DO NOT UNDERSTAND THINK IT IS "GIBBERISH" AND MOCK IT.

Anonymous