She doesnt like to breastfeed!!! Help!!!

my one week old fights me everytime i try to breasrfeed her.. is this normal??

DesignDiva21

Asked by DesignDiva21 at 8:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep trying! Dont give bottles, that will make things worse.
    My daughter would fight me sometimes too in the beginning. Now she fights me FOR the breast!
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 8:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Maybe she is too hungry. Sometimes if they get hungry it is harder to get them to latch on. One of my boys did this and he would be SO frustrated. He would fight me SO much even though he was so hungry. Try to feed sooner then normal and see if that helps.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My grandaughter was just like that. She wanted that milk NOW. So, my DIL gave her bottles and she was a happy baby./ Don't feel bad...just do what works and don't let any of the Breast Feeding fanatics make you feel guilty if you switch to formula. Giev it a try and if it doesn't work, try formula. It isn't going to be bad for her.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• when she latches on apply slight pressure to ur boobs to give her a fast fix so shes satisfied right away and will stay latched
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 9:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Lindalu2 Thank you Mama. So many moms on here are breast feeding obsessed. If it ends up being what is best for the family to formula feed then do it.
    Anonymous

• "My grandaughter was just like that. She wanted that milk NOW. So, my DIL gave her bottles and she was a happy baby./ Don't feel bad...just do what works and don't let any of the Breast Feeding fanatics make you feel guilty if you switch to formula. Giev it a try and if it doesn't work, try formula. It isn't going to be bad for her."

And right here. THIS is the attitude that frustrates me. This mom isn't asking about formula, not asking about bottles. She sounds like she is trying to make breastfeeding work, and already she's getting advice about not feeling bad about switching to formula. And we wonder why women doubt their ability to breastfeed.

OP, I'd ask about this in a breastfeeding group. In here, you're going to have way too many people reminding you that formula is an acceptable substitute. *eye roll* There are dozens of things you can try, before
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Make sure you aren't offering a bottle or pacifier. I know it gets frustrating if your baby is hungry and not latching, so you may be tempted to pump and offer a bottle, but if you do all she'll want is the bottle. Just nurse, nurse, nurse. Call your hospital and make an appointment with the lactation nurse there. She can watch you try and nurse and see what's going on with the latch.

Also, go ahead and cut out garlic and onion from your diet just to make sure a food odor in your milk isn't turning her off.

Another culprit is gas. Breastmilk soothes gas pains. Sometimes you think your baby is hungry. They latch, it for 2 minutes, then break the latch and scream. Sometimes they do this over and over. Try gas drops and burping. If she seems to be nursing super often when she's fighting you then it's probably gas.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Are you too full? When my milk came in my baby did this. I would pump some out and then she would latch. Now, I am too full every morning when I wake up and she won't latch on so I pump and she gets a bottle at least for that feeding. All other times she latches on great and doesn't put up a fight.
    Anonymous

• My son did this as well and with him it was a let-down issue - - the milk was there, but he was too impatient to wait for it. I talked to a lactation consultant who had me "fiddle" (my hubby's term for it) with the nipple on the opposite breast from the one he was on - - basically just gently twisting my nipple back and forth between my thumb and index finger. It stimulated my let-down and made baby happy faster :) The good news is I only had to do that for about a week before my body caught on and did what my son wanted. Stick with it and talk to a lactation consultant - they are a great resource!

And lindalu2 - it seems to me that people complain about "nursing nazis" when they tell people asking about formula to breastfeed - - isn't that essentially what you have just done here, only in reverse???
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Mine did this for two solid weeks. They are NOT all born liking to nurse. Sometimes it's overactive letdown. Sometimes you're trying to feed when baby's not interested.

Drop by the breastfeeding moms group...we can help you out.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:41 AM on Oct. 20, 2009