Have you,your child , or someone you know ever had a reaction to DTaP?

Just wondering I have heard alot of stories on other websites just wondering if someone you know has had a bad reaction to it.If so did they get another one after that,was it worse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Mine had an abnormally high fever (105), and I think a seizure. My pediatrician refused to see us, and claimed it had nothing to do with the vaccine. I wasn't even aware there was a vaccine controversy at that point, I just wanted help for my child. The way he reacted, we left the practice. My new ped confirmed that it was a vax reaction. We got no more. It was at her 4 month appt. The first one she had was at her 2 month appt, and she had a pretty high fever, 103, but we were dismissed and told it was normal and nothing to worry about. So, for us the reaction was worse.

We stopped her vaccines for 2 years. We just started giving her some (we travel out of the country a lot), but we are very cautious, and have not repeated that one.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Two of my kids ran low grade fevers afterwards, my oldest ran a moderate fever (about 103 F) after his four month shots but the other doses only produced low grade fevers.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:26 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• At the time I didn't know any better and question our ped and he told me that it had nothing to do with the vax. After it happened the second time, then I knew. My dd ran a high temp of 105 and cried and cried that high pitch scream. My dd also started to have skin problem after them as well. Excema is a known side effect of vaccines. My dd is five now and still has the skin problems. I personally feel that the dtap is one of the most dangerous vaccines. We no longer vax, as we have another child in our family who suffered a reaction last yr.

If you are that curious, I suggest checking out the VAERS system under vaccine reactions from the Dtap. http://vaers.hhs.gov/index http://www.ctvia.org/index.cfm?folder=154
    Good luck!
    Anonymous

• My child also had a reaction, she had a huge lump afterwards that was painful to the touch for quite some time.
    Anonymous

• I was hospitalized after my second one and almost died. But this was also 30 years ago. And yes I did immunize my kids. To this day I get a modified one even though the doctors swear that I will not have the same reaction to it since the shot has changed during this time.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I have a friend whose son had a reaction to his dtap vaccine - his brain swelled up and he went from being a perfectly normally developing child to a child with quad CP that has a feeding tube, can't speak, and has vision impairments. No, he hasn't had any more vaccines. He is 6 years old now.
    Anonymous

• Thank you ladies for all your stories.
    Anonymous