so breastfeeding isnt a good idea if im planning on working a lil after i have the baby

Dani3lla

Asked by Dani3lla at 9:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My friend is AMAZING to me. She pumps at work. I never had the dicipline, nor the break to do it, legal or not. It wasn't easy for her but she did it. For me just because it was my right doesn't mean it was that easy. But I really admire those who chose to do it.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• why not??
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Not necessarily. You could pump, or you could supplement with formula if you have to. I have a friend who returned to work after only 8 weeks of maternity leave - and she is still nursing at 14 months. You can do it if you want to.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• BFing is always a good idea. Even if you're only willing to do it during your maternity leave, at the very least your baby will get the antibodies during those weeks.

I know a few moms that EBF by pumping while they worked. That takes a lot of dedication and I admire any woman that can do that. But why not EBF during your maternity leave, BF first thing in the morning, BF first thing when you get home, BF mid evening, BF at bedtime, and BF at the night time feeding? And then let the care giver supplement formula (if you don't want to pump) while you're at work.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:43 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I second what ThrivingMom said.

BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Why not? I have a friend who's 3rd baby refused formula of any kind - she worked full time and pumped enough at work to get baby through each day - her baby got nothing but breastmilk for her entire first year. It's possible, and many women do it!
    Anonymous

• i was working and pumping and feeding my baby when i was home. my work also gave me problems,they didnt have anywere for me to pump,i had to pump in the bathroom. try pumping when u get up in the morning that is when ur supply is best. and pump twice in an 8 hour work day.and make sure u have some supply in the freezer ahead of time.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:50 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Any amount of breastmilk your baby gets is great! Even if you go back to work full time and can't pump at work for whatever reason, you can still try to nurse in the mornings, evenings and for night time feedings. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
    I went back to work about 6 1/2 weeks after having my first daughter, and I was able to keep up breastfeeding her for nearly 18 months, without using any formula. I was lucky that my boss was very flexible and I had the time to pump, but I was also very committed to making it work. She went from breast to bottle with no problem and we didn't have to wean until she was ready.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 9:50 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Your employer is legally required to give you opportunities to pump regularly at work, as well as a safe and clean location to do it. However, due to the stresses and distraction that work often places on the woman, it is natural to expect to pump less than what your child would normally drink in a breast to baby feeding.

It's best to come up with a plan for pumping while at work, asuming you cannot work during a time that allows you to still feed your child regularly without pumping or supplementing. Talk to your employer early on, before returning to work so if there isn't an easy solution to pumping, one can be found with no loss to you or your child. Good luck!
    rebabeach2

Answer by rebabeach2 at 9:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• EVERY little drop of breastmilk that your baby receives is VERY valuable! The more/longer, the better. So you could at least start with BFing. It's worth it for baby! :-)
    But after you start to work you can always pump or just BF when you're there if you don't want to pump.

You do have a lot of options. Baby will always benefit from your milk so better some than none at all!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2009