Do you let your sons...

play with baby dolls or barbies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• sure, why not?
    Anonymous

• op-I do I just wanted to see what others thought.
    Anonymous

• Ours did when they were younger, they are at an age now where they don't like "girl" stuff but they still like their stuffed animals.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• i dont have a boy...but if i did..i would!! my nephew used to always play with them..(he has a big sis)..

when i used to work at mcdonalds 6 years ago..whenever someone ordered a happy meal we werent even allowed to ask if it was for a boy or girl..we had to specify which toys we had and let them decide..they said it was sexist!! which i guess is true, cause now that i have a kid...my daughter 9 times outta 10 chooses the "boy" toy..lol...even at school most of her friends are boys..as she runs around with them, plays trucks with them, meanwhile all the girls are over in the corner playing dolls..however, she is verrry girly!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My boys had baby dolls when they were younger. If they want to play with something, they can.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Yup, he had ragdoll "Andy".
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:05 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• my 10 month old loves his new baby....he gives it hugs and kisses, and then spikes it (thanks uncle lol)
    but even the uncle that taught him that liked babies when he was little, but at the stage where he wont admit it now! he's 11
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Yep. He likes his tractors & cars more, but if he wants to play with one of his sisters babies, I have no problems with it. I did buy him his own little boy doll once and he loved it, but I just realized I haven't seen it in a while...
    Anonymous

• What's wrong with a boy playing with a baby doll? How are they going to learn how to hold and comfort a baby if they are never allowed to? Look at it this way: years ago boys were taught to play with "boy" toys, baby dolls, etc were girls toys and off-limits to the majority of boys. When those boys grew up and had children, they had no clue what to do. The child was the wife's domain so to speak, many had no idea how to comfort a baby and many more were almost afraid to even hold their infants. Girls learn how to "mother" by playing with baby dolls, boys learn how to "father" by being allowed to play with them....and when they grow up, they tend to be much more attentive, involved fathers.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• If he wanted to I wouldn't deny him, but I doubt I would just go out and buy him a barbie for the heck of it.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2009