Do you have any tips for moving?

My family and I will be moving in one month from WV to La and I would love if anyone would share their tips on moving. I have only moved once and that was by myself. I would especiall love tips for moving with a 12 month old. Thank you.

Miss.Kristin

Asked by Miss.Kristin at 10:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Travel

• Call 2 guys and a truck! lolol j/k...
    I bought storage tubs, then if I didn't want to unpack some of the things they were already put away and sealed shut. I marked them also...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Get rid of as much stuff as you can. You don't want to move a lot of things that you end up throwing out or giving away after the move. Label boxes carefully. Have some things that are familiar to your little one handy so that they have the items for comfort- not only holding and seeing them, but the smell and feel- loved stuffed animals, blanket, PJ's, cup and dish, and so forth.

Answer by Bmat at 10:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• If you can afford it (better yet, if your employer is paying), have professionals pack and move.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:29 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• ultimately, my best advice would be to find a good school first then the house. location location location. if you are referring to La as Louisiana and not LosAngeles well then I don't know what to say. no offense, but i could never live there. anyone we ever knew to get relocated to LA were doing everything they could to get the hell outta there in about 3 months.
    otherwise, put the most items you can that you will need for about 4 days that you use everyday. put sippy cups and coloring books stuff like that in your car or in a small uhaul behind your car. if you move yourself start packing stuff today and gathering boxes today. and pack everything more secure than you think it needs to be. crazy stuff gets broken while moving

if a company is moving you, hide anything you don't want stolen or seen, or prepack it and mail it
    ahead of you or take it with you.
    everything that can happen will happen when you move.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:07 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Pack a tote or two of the absolute essentials you will need for the first week or so you live there.
    Tooth brushes, tooth paste, toilet paper, paper towels, a couple kitchen utensils, a pot and pan, can opener etc. That way you don't have to rush and freak out while you're unpacking.
    bethany_smith

Answer by bethany_smith at 1:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Go through everything now and get rid of EVERYTHING you don't use. EVERYTHING. Be frugal in what you decide to keep--you have to schlep this stuff around, you know.

Label EVERYTHING, clearly and on all sides of the boxes.

Do not pack all heavy things in the same boxes.

Keep a duffel bag of essentials handy.

When you unpack in your new place, again, go through EVERYTHING and get rid of more stuff. You'll be surprised at how much you don't need.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 9:21 AM on Oct. 21, 2009