Should a 14 month old sleep without a bottle? If so, how?

I read that a 14month old shouldn't drink from a bottle anymore and I don't know how to do it.

firsttimemot444

Asked by firsttimemot444 at 10:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give a sippy of water instead. Just quit giving the bottle, it's really not that hard.
    Anonymous

• Start putting nothing but water in the bottle. Hopefully he or she will lose interest.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 10:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• well, I stopped giving my son bottles at 16 months. I started with taking away his naptime bottle.. it was hard, I'm not going to lie. but I do wish I would have started it at 13-14 months cause at 15 months he was attached and NEEDING the baba... I just had to let him cry, I would rock him and cuddle him but when he'd cry BABA... I'd just say No more baba's honey. and keep rocking or rub his back or just let him cry, it took a week for the naptime and a week for the bedtime baba and we stopped saying baba all togheter. if he'd ask or cry for baba, we just would never repeat that word, we'd just say No more honey, how about water... it was sad to hear him cry when we finalyl KNEW what he was crying about -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I was in the same boat when my son was a little older than 16 months. Yikes! He needed the bottle too but I read in a book (can't remember which) the best way to get him off! It worked beautifully without crying! He would take 8 oz of milk at night - each night, I put in 1 oz less until we worked to only 2 oz. At that point, place water in the bottle( if he still wants the bottle) or go straight to no bottle. They said that giving only an ounce of milk was teasing the babe - that's why you go straight to no bottle or the water if necessary. The gradual decrease of milk in the bottle was a very gentle and easy way for my son to give up the bottle. I hope that makes sense. It worked really well for us. Good luck!:)
    musicmommy3009

Answer by musicmommy3009 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• just take it away...when he wants it distract him just take it AWAY...even with my first we did this and it is not that hard if you just do it and stick to it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• ok... is this to SLEEP or just have in general. you have conflicting statements in your original question.
    You don't know how to make the transition, easy. tell the 14 month old it's time to have a big girl/boy cup, and hand him/her the sippy. tell the child it's time to put baby things away and have him/her help.
    if you're talking bedtime, it's NEVER NEVER ok to let a baby/toddler go to sleep with a bottle.
    Jordanplustwo

Answer by Jordanplustwo at 1:32 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Take the damn thing away! It should have been gone two months ago. Cut the nipple off! Throw them out. Just get rid of it before you ruin his teeth!
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 2:38 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Throw away all your bottles. It's bad for their teeth. Have him or her drink out of a sippy (if he's reluctant, there are some with soft spouts).

Don't give your baby a bottle OR a sippy for bed time...if you're desperate and want to lay him down with something, opt for a sippy with water so you don't mess up his or her teeth.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 5:54 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• YES YES YES! I am whats called an EFDA that is pretty much a dentist without all the schooling! LOL it is very bad for your teeth to be put to bed with ANYTHING even WATER! What happens is~it makes you salivate which has sugar in it, and that lays on your teeth all night! You should NEVER put your kids to bed with anything! and yes your baby teeth can set a bad start to your adult teeth! To break your kids of a bottle is your choice (how its done i mean) But with my daughter she was sick one day and wouldnt really drink so i bought her a new sippy cup and sure enough she liked it and i took the bottle and never looked back! she was 11 months. But yes you need to take the bottle and DO NOT give a cup of anything during the night if you can break that habit now! Good luck!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 9:23 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• EASY TAKE IT AWAY. MY DD STOP USING A BOTTLE THE DAY SHE TURN ONE. SHE NOW TAKES A SIPPY WITH WATER. THE REASON IS THAT IT WILL ROT THEIR TEETH. AND THEY WILL LOOK AWFUL THE MORE YOU WAUT THE HARDER IT IS. HELL TAKE A SIPPY IF HE IS THRISTY
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:29 AM on Oct. 20, 2009