Cash for Clubbers? Congress's fabulous golf cart stimulus. Usefuls use of Chinese borrowed funds?

Thanks to the federal tax credit to buy high-mileage cars that was part of President Obama's stimulus plan, Uncle Sam is now paying Americans to buy that great necessity of modern life, the golf cart.
The federal credit provides from $4,200 to $5,500 for the purchase of an electric vehicle, and when it is combined with similar incentive plans in many states the tax credits can pay for nearly the entire cost of a golf cart. Even in states that don't have their own tax rebate plans, the federal credit is generous enough to pay for half or even two-thirds of the average sticker price of a cart, which is typically in the range of $8,000 to $10,000. "The purchase of some models could be absolutely free," Roger Gaddis of Ada Electric Cars in Oklahoma said earlier this year. "Is that about the coolest thing you've ever heard?"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704107204574473724099542430.html

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• LOL....I read about this last night!

Great government oversight, huh?!

You know what would be great? Letting the government manage every facet of our lives--they're so good and "dotting the i's and crossing the t's!!!" LOL NOT!!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Are you cool with you, your kids, your grandkids paying China back (with interest) money used to fund golf cart purchases?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:54 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Someone please excuse this for me. Please. .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:27 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• LOL, golf carts? Are you kidding me? You know you can't even drive one on the road unless it is equipped with turn signals, break lights, a horn, seat belts etc? Most of them don't have all of these "extras". So what in the world would I buy a golf cart for if I don't play golf? I guess I could drive it around in my yard. Lame
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 11:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• You know what would be great? Letting the government manage every facet of our lives--they're so good and "dotting the i's and crossing the t's!!!" LOL NOT!!!!

LOL... These Big Government decisions suck, don't they? Bush started the Big Government Spending and Obama has taken the ball,and certainly ran with it....  And just when you thought it couldn't possibly happen~ HE SPENT MORE!!!!  Yay OBAMA.. ::golf clap::  Sure glad we are paying interest on poor decisions. Sure glad it will carry over to our children. Go Big Government! ::insert sarcasm::

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• What the flick? WTG OBOZO..omg golf carts!

I will make sure my children and grandchildren know how Obozo made them pay for this tripe..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Ohhhh, look at that: I have a typo. hrmmmmmm Better correct it before the chosen self educated one comments... Usefuls use of Chinese borrowed funds...  :oP

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• amyrw Those buying these carts ARE outfitting them with the necessary equipment to make them "street legal!!!" Granny's got a new set of wheels! LOL!!

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2009/10/19/should-the-government-really-buy-people-golf-carts/

"These qualifying golf carts are essentially the same as normal golf carts save for adding some safety features, such as side and rearview mirrors and three-point seat belts. They typically can go 15 to 25 miles per hour."

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:12 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• While this is what looks like an ugly loophole that those who might benefit from are trumpeting about (could that quoted electric car salesman be any dumber???) I have friends who live in planned community type things that use their golf cart all the time. They can even get to the store with the thing, which makes me green with envy. That wouldn't work here.

But in Key West, that is the majority of what you see there - modified golf cart/elec cars. Small area, lotsa people, not a lot of room. I think ECs would work in certain areas, because I have seen where it does. When I lived in the Keys, I didn't have a car. I had a scooter. LOL - I was too poor for the souped up GC!

So while it initially sounds asinine, there are places it would work. I unfortunately don't live in one of them.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 1:46 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• That's fine if someone want to buy one with their OWN money....but at the taxpayer's expense....that's where I have a problem with it!!! Most of those buying these golf carts via the government loophole don't pay any income tax--they're retired and even though they live in exclusive neighborhoods and gated communities they're technically all on "fixed incomes!!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:27 AM on Oct. 20, 2009