What time should a 14month old go to sleep at night?

My son goes 2 sleep until 9:30 or 10p.m. and I want to know how long he should sleep? Also, how do I put him 2 sleep without a bottle?

firsttimemot444

Asked by firsttimemot444 at 10:56 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd is 14 mo old and she is in bed between 7 & 8:30. It all depends on how long her afternoon nap was if she gets one & if she gets one depends on how long her morning nap is. She then sleeps 11-12 hours at night. She is off the bottle and after supper I don't let her drink anything until bedtime then give her a sippy of milk to drink then go lay her down. She does not have her sippy in the crib with her. She kinda weened herself off the bottle. How many naps & how long of naps does he take during the day?
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 11:00 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• It depends on your schedule and what works for you. My 18 mo. old goes to bed between 7:00 and 7:30 most nights...but we get up early...between 6 am and 7am. As for the bottle...the sooner you get rid of it altogether, the better off you'll be. Once they get past that first year...they just get more and more stuck in their ways and more and more opinionated! I couldn't imagine trying to ween my daughter at her age. I would start by changing up your bedtime routine. Just offer the bottle in the livingroom prior to heading to bed (I assume you're feeding in the nursery?). Once he gets the hang of that, start giving the bottle 10 minutes before bed, then 20 and then 30, etc. Once he has the hang of that...cut out the bottle altogether. Just go cold turkey...switch to a sippy cup but keep everything else the same. Give him his milk warm in the same place you usually give it to him. It'll take him a few days to get...
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• ...used to it but he'll probably give in in about 4-5 days...as long as you're consistent about not bringing the bottle back (throw them away if you think you'll be tempted). Increase his yogurt, cheese and other dairy servings to help makeup for the milk he will likely refuse to drink in the short term. Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• my daughter is 18mos but since 12mos we have had a better routine...she goes to bed at 7P and sleeps till 6A. As far as bottles I just take them away. AFter 12mos it gets harder because they are more attached and feel they need it. I made the mistake with my oldest not taking it soon enough so with girls no bottle in bed at all and I did take it away right at 12mos. My oldest was 19mos and from 12-19mos had it just at night then he had a suppy which can be just like a bottle! Oh it was awful but I learned my lesson...LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• My kids both have a 7 pm bedtime - - kind of. With my 10 mo. old, we start his bedtime routine (story, prayers, nursing) at about 6:30 and he's out by 7. I have a 2 1/2 yr old whose bedtime routine (brush teeth, wash face, read stories, say prayers) STARTS at 7 and she is usually asleep by 7:30/8pm. With both of them, their routines are key to getting them to bed (and asleep), and a big part of those routines are their bedtimes. My daughter would love to be a nightowl, but when we've let her stay up for something special, she's been a total bear the next day and refused naps, so the early bedtime stays :) the little one wakes up around 7:30 and his sister is up around 8:30 - - both of them are getting close to 13 hours of sleep at night plus their naps.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 4:07 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Their internal clock usually "says" no later than 8:30 p.m. or so. Mine used to go to bed at 7:30 p.m.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 5:52 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• WOW are you sure you want to ask these women this question?! after reading the last question! LOL some say its child abuse and others say your lazy if your child doesnt sleep 7-7 or 8-8! CRAZY! Anyways to you...My daughter has always gone to bed between 9-10 every night and she sleeps til atleast 9 but most days later, its nice because then i get my stuff done without cutting into OUR time! as far as the bottle goes, i was worried about it too, but my daughter was sick one day and wasnt really drinking, so i bought her a new sippy cup (thinking that would grab her attention to try it) it was a playtex with a straw, and YUP it worked! She drank from that and not from a bottle again! Maybe try that! but i think your bed time is fine if that is what works for you, and i wouldnt push the bottle issue, but keep trying! good luck!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 9:18 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• My 14 month old goes to bed at 7pm though he usually doesn't actually fall asleep until closer to 8 because he sits in there and plays, but we also have to get up at 6:30am during the week so it works out and he sleeps through the night. He's on such a good sleep schedule that he is actually a pretty reliable alarm clock lol. 6:30am usually right on the dot!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2009