Would it be ILLEGAL to shoot a stray cat and/or skunk for getting into your trash and peeing on your house?

We have stray cats and skunks that get into our garbage that is up and out of their reach (they climb up on the porch to pry off garbage can top) It's so annoying. I caught a stary cat pissing on my lawn by our house today.. My S/O wants to get a Pellet gun and kill them.. I have no problem with that because they are stray but I've been told I could get in trouble for it???? I live in Maine.. does anyone know?

fireangel0310

Asked by fireangel0310 at 10:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Pets

• Of course its illegal. Its still an animal. If they are that much of a pest you can try Animal Control. Or some hunting stores sell cyote urine (in a bag) that you hang from a tree and it keeps animals away. You could do the pellet gun thing but just shoot near them so they get scared away. Or get a dog.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 11:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Wow, that's horrible and it should be illegal. Shoot a cat with a pellet gun bc it peed on your lawn? That's cruel! The poor thing doesn't realize it's wrong to pee on your lawn! I hope you get sprayed by that skunk straight in your face!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Clearly you don't like cats but strays can't distinguish where it should pee or not. Shooting it is flat out animal cruelty and YES you can be charged in Maine. (I have family in Bangor). Pellet gun? Really? No smarter option comes to mind? I know it's frustrating but call Animal Control or a vet or a shelter for advice and don't shoot the animals. Jesus.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Some animal control people will just trap it and then eventually kill it anyway. I personally think it's cruel and a pretty crappy thing to do, but it may actually be legal if you have a small game license and your gun is legal. It's legal to shoot rabbits, racoons, and groundhogs in some places, so maybe skunks too. Once it's dead, you do realize you would have a dead stinky skunk to deal with right? Why not make some phone calls though, or look for more humane solutions before you just kill it?
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 11:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• "We have stray cats and skunks that get into our garbage that is up and out of their reach (they climb up on the porch to pry off garbage can top)"

...If they can reach your garbage cans, how, exactly, are they out of reach?
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:07 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Wow.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 2:45 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Yes, it's illegal. What is wrong with you?
    How can you even tell the cats are strays? You could be killing some little girl's kitty for all you know.
    Nzumbe

Answer by Nzumbe at 4:36 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Umm because the people in my park are not allowed to have cats. I've asked everyone about the cat and nobody owns it.. What I mean but being up out of reach is that it's not easily accessible to animals on the ground.
    Did I say I was GOING TO DO THIS? This is what MY S/O wants to and I told him the same thing that I thought it was illegal. I will try to call Animal Control but I know they won't do anything because I called once for a stray cat that needed a home and they told me they don't tend to cats only dogs..SOOO..

(and you don't all have to act like I committed a crime.. I just asked a question damn!!!)
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 6:14 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• and as far as the skunk is concerned YES I assume that if you KILL a skunk that it's going to stink to high heaven.. Calm down people damn!! Where do I get the coyote urine?
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 6:17 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• just call animal control, sheesh
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:57 AM on Oct. 20, 2009