38 weeks... having a hard time distinguishing contractions

i'm 38w3d and my baby has dropped very low. i know he doesn't have much room in there. i used to be able to feel braxton hicks contractions all the time, i even had to go to the hospital at 35 weeks to settle my uterus down. well, now, i can't even tell anymore whether it's just my baby pushing for more room or braxton hicks or even contractions. i get bad cramps from him being so low and it's just becoming very confusing. this is my first baby

Marri357

Asked by Marri357 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it's my first baby too and i'm 37 weeks 1 day

from what i hear on here when you start having contractions you'll know. so i've been going on the fact that you should trust your body and will know when it happens. cuz it'll hurt.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:06 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• In the beginning, contractions really don't hurt too bad. They'll either feel like period cramps or like Braxton Hicks. You'll know if they're real because they'll get progressively closer together, stronger, more rhythmic and they won't change if you change position. Ex: If you think you're having contractions, empty your bladder, drink a full glass of water and change your position. If you've been sitting, go for a walk...if you've been up and around then sit down or lay down. If they continue regardless of the change of position, then they're likely real. With your first, you'll be in labor for awhile before you need to go to the hospital and it will become evident that they're real. My water broke at 8:15, contractions started at 9:15 but I didn't go to the hospital until midnight or so and the contractions didn't start to hurt until around 3 am.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Are you noticing that they come and go? Are they in a pattern? How often do they return?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• angie nailed it. biggest one is this...if you drink a ton of water and lay on left side and they stop-fake. if they keep coming, get stronger and you feel in a pattern of time...thats doc time. good luck and dont worry its gonna be ok mom. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:19 AM on Oct. 20, 2009