why wont my son eat at dinner time?(he's 2 1/2)

hope_or_fatih

Asked by hope_or_fatih at 11:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• my son is 23-1/2 months old and been doing the same thing. He takes 1 bite or 2 bites and says he's all done. then 45 minutes later he's SO hungry and crying for something??
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Normal! My 3 yo never eats when the rest of us do. I have to leave his plate on the table and he comes back to get a bite or two when he wants. I never leave the plate there past bedtime. Sometimes he finishes the food before time for bed sometimes he doesn't. Either way, he knows that he is not eating anything more after I put him to bed.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Maybe he is just not hungry yet. Try a later dinner time and possibly start moving that time up to fit your schedule gradually. I found it was easier to work on their schedule than mine. I mean I am not always hungry at 5pm or 6 pm every day. I would not force the issue. I think forcing eating issues can possibly bring on eating disorders later in life. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• How much milk or juice is he drinking everyday? He might just not feel hungry because of lots of milk or something, but then the full feeling passes quickly because it was all just liquid. IDK, my kids (age 4 and 2) are generally good eaters, but sometimes we have the same problem. I have had to deal with my 2 yr old waking up at 5:30am because she's hungry so many times.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Monitor his fluid intake and snacking. Those are both things that can interfere with eating meals.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:07 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• My guy just turned 4 and he's not usually a big dinner eater either. He prefers a small breakfast usually (today was a banana and a couple of graham crackers) followed by a big lunch and a light dinner. We eat dinner at 6:15 and he usually has a snack about 4pm. I know that snack is going to be 90% of his dinner so I make it something nutritious like a peanut butter sandwich or some hummus and crackers with baby carrots. Some nights he'll eat a decent dinner but it's usually more like 5 bites and he's gone.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:32 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• He isn't hungry at that time. Just becuase someone says it is time for dinner doesn't mean someone is hungry. He may not like a lot of food at dinner time. Make it more of a snack for him or move dinner to a later time.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• DONT WORRY THATS NORMAL!!
    Anonymous

• Beeeeecauseeeeeeeee HE does not need to be forced to need to eat when you say so okay. children eat when they want at any time. You cant force someone to eat when you want to eat dinner at 5 or 6pm. Just because your hungry at 6 doesnt mean he or she is. Get over it
    Anonymous