Why does my child do so well in spelling but when it comes to writting out sentences he misspells some of the words?

why is that? He makes 100's in spelling tests, but makes a very low grade on dictations.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe he's not retaining what he learns. A spelling test is a week of practice with the words. But if he doesn't remember those words the following week, then he really hasn't learned how to spell them. Just memorized them for short-term.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I know my son he has to reread what he writes. When he does this he will pick up on the misspelled words. GL
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:36 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Probably because the spelling words are in a self contained list. It's easy to picture them all on a page to remember how to spell them for one test. I was like that. Still am. I cam remember tons of information for tests if I cram right before but I don't retain much of that information past the test.
    I used to get good grades in spelling, too, and I'm a horrible speller. If it wasn't for spellcheck I would look like a moron when I write.
    Want to hear something odd: my son is 8 and has always gotten good grades on spelling, even in 1st grade when he was completely unable to read. He could get a spelling list and ace the test but couldn't read a lick (even the words he had for spelling if he saw them in a sentence). He's slowly getting better, though.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:15 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• ""Probably because the spelling words are in a self contained list. It's easy to picture them all on a page to remember how to spell them for one test.""

I agree with that. It could very well be also, that when writing it out it is much harder for him to form a picture of the word in his mind to spell it correctly. I suggest sitting down with him and seeing how you can help him better his writing. Maybe there are some tricks you can teach him to help him remember how to spell words. Even having him read a book to you every night can help in his spelling during writing. Seeing the different words on a page and saying them allowed may help him remember words better. Which can help him write them out correctly.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:59 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• does he struggle with writing in general? I do calligraphy and I know when you are too focused on forming individual letters it's easy to lose track and misspell things.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• My kids remember their spelling words because we go over them at least twice every night. When their doing just general writing, they occasionally misspell words because they can't write as fast as they can think, and my son (8, 2nd grade) especially will occasionally mix his words together (first letters of one word, last letters of another word.) I have to make him slow down and focus on his words, and then I check over his work. I tell him how many misspelled words I found and make him find them and correct them. My daughter (6, 1st grade) I underline the words that need to be fixed and make her fix them. She gets frustrated, too, because she's still "getting used to" writing. For kids this age, writings not the sort of ingrained thing it is for us. Writing is still a chore and a challenge for them, and for some it's awkward and strange.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 3:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2009