breast feeding

my son was born 10 weeks early and is still in the nicu...they won't allow me to nurse him and my milk has still get to full come in...he was born 5 weeks ago...i have tried every thing that my lacation consultant has told me to do and nothing is fulling bring in my milk...it's stressing me out and i'm thinking that maybe i shouldl just dry up and be done with it...my situation is difficult...i don't feel like it's work the stress when i'm already stressed not being able to take my son home...but every day when i wake up i say ok i'm not going to try to pump i'm just going to allow my self to dry up...i feel like i'm taking something away from my son and then i feel guilty and can't do it which futher stresses me out...what should i do...should i just keep trying in the hopes that when he gets home that my milk will fully come in or do i dry up since he did get my milk for the 1st 5 weeks which was the most important time?

Aidensmomma913

Asked by Aidensmomma913 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• stress caused my friend to dry up if you dont want to dry up try finding something to relax you before you pump......and if you do want to dry up put cold green cabbage leaf on your boob to help with the pain and such....
    SPC.armywife

Answer by SPC.armywife at 12:08 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• what you feel is best is the right decision.formula feeding will not harm your baby and will help him grow.you tried.dont kill yourself over it.my daughters about to be 2 months and ive been breastfeeding but i honestly dont like it .im not breast feeding all the way to a yr and 2 yrs and so on im stoppin when i go bak 2 work.it doesnt make me a bad mother and i love my daughter to death.theres gonna be a lot of people that tell you to breastfeed and are probably gonna call me selfish n so on but every1s way of being a parent is different and if you feel you just cant do it anymore then dont.your still a great mom and your baby is going to grow happy and healthy because of it.good luck to you.oh yea and DONT FEEL GUILTY.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 12:12 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• What makes you think your milk hasn't fully come in? Your pumping amount? One half ounce to two ounces is normal output. You;ll likely never fill an eight ounce bottle, nor should you. I'm guessing your milk IS in completely but no one told you the correct gauge. Which is merely dipe count.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group. We have a few NICU moms...myself among them.

And for Desi...the fact that you did it at ALL makes you a success. I understand not liking it...I disliked it for 26 months. I only stuck with it because upon pregnancy I decided that life no longer had anything to do with what I liked or didn't like. And that's helped down the line. Infancy and breastfeeding are EASY compared to tween years and homework. Wanna trade?

Answer by gdiamante at 12:31 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• keep pumping mama, it is SO worth the struggle...i know several moms who successfully breastfed after having a baby in NICU...good luck
    Kimra

Answer by Kimra at 1:12 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Pump, pump, pump! And try to relax - - I know it can't be easy with all the stress of a NICU baby, but try to find somewhere comfortable and quiet for pumping. You won't get nearly as much pumping as you would with a baby feeding, but it will help your supply while you wait. I
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:12 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Are you able to hold your baby at all or do the kangaroo care where you hold your baby skin to skin? If so, I would try pumping immediately after that.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• You shouldn't be getting a whole lot by pumping anyway, so that doesn't even tell you how much milk you really have. When you do pump, RELAX. think of your son and how easy it will be to feed him once he is home! you should be happy with anythig you pump out! good job momma and it IS worth it!!!
    bmwmom

Answer by bmwmom at 1:47 PM on Oct. 20, 2009