How on earth do I know if it is Colic??

My baby is 2 weeks old today and for the past week she has been crying unconsolably and bunching up and arching her back, around the same time everyday. I have tried Mylicon drops and gripe water. Im not sure whether its the formula or not. I only give her one bottle a day, in addition to breastfeeding. Just not sure what to think=[

lsp0514

Asked by lsp0514 at 12:01 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well, have you asked her doc hon? (hugs0 its so frustrating huh? now, the thing is it could be either colic or reflux which is really common now. email me if you want to talk some more and I can answer better. :o).
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:05 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• sounds like she has gas...get some gas drops
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Colic is merely a medical term for "We don't know why the baby is crying but we need a medical term."

There's always something underneath...often merely just too much stimulation at the end fo the day.

In your case, though...it sounds like gas. Mylicon or gripe water will help.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:24 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• The label doesn't really matter, since there's nothing you can do for colic anyway. My baby cried almost non-stop from 3 wks. to 2 mos. That was just her personality. It will end, trust me. It seems like a nightmare but it stops as soon as it starts. Stay with the gas drops and make sure to burp her very often. Other than that, wear her and walk as much as possible, that's what I did non-stop for 2 mos. I thought I"d lose my mind but then it was over. Good luck.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:25 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Why are you supplementing? I would definitely suspect the formula. Best way to find out is to get rid of it!

Like gdiamante said, colic just means they don't know what is wrong. Doesn't hurt to try different things to see if you can make it better! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:39 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It sounds like my second born. He was obviously in pain - arching like your daughter. He still has digestive issues as a 2 year old. Gas drops did absolutely nothing for him. I think they work for mild issues, but not something more sever. My son was considered to have colic. However today doctors know a lot more about it. I talked to my doctor about Daniel and what I believed to be the problem. I could just tell it was his stomach. Anyway we were give a prescription that I could give him as needed. I only used it during the worst nights/days and it helped so much. It was a long first year with him and we are still trying to figure out what causes the problem. We have narrowed down some foods, but at 2 1/2 years old we still have some nights that he wakes up in pain. Hang in there! It will get better after a while.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:11 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• that sounds exactly like gas... try different things, keep using the drops, bicycle her legs, rub her tummy, hold her to console her. Try burping her more.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 11:24 AM on Oct. 20, 2009