im afraid to leave him!!

i have to go back to work in a week! and my son who is now 3 months old is exclusivly breastfed, will not will not take a bottle, at all!! my husband and i have been trying the bottle to get him acustamed to it for a couple weeks now and all he does is scream untill he can get latched on to the boob again. im afraid that once i leave for work he will strave and cry all day long!! also he is a very spoiled baby, i can not get him to nap during the day unless i hold him in my arms the whole time, the second i lay him down to sleep he wakes right up. I need help is there anything i can to help my little one take to the bottle, and to get restfull sleep during the day.

mrsmurders

Asked by mrsmurders at 12:15 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i'd hate to be the babysitter but keep trying to give him the bottle..have you tried the nuk bottles? they are just like the breast my friends daughter uses them cuz she refused to stop breast feeding and now she is use to the bottle...
    SPC.armywife

Answer by SPC.armywife at 12:20 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Here's the trick...YOU must be GONE completely. And try a sippy cup. He's well old enough. Remove the spill proof valve. Caregiver tips the cup, baby sips the milk.

But above all...YOU need to be GONE.

He WILL NOT starve himself. Babies are creatures of instinct and instinct doesn't allow self-starvation. He *may* reverse cycle...refusing everything except the breast and tanking up at home. That's normal and not an issue.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:22 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• And by the way...holding your baby is NOT spoiling him, any more than getting a kiss form your husband is spoiling you. Spoiling only happens with toddlers. Infants CANNOT be spoiled. Being held is a NEED for them, not a want.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:23 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• try the playtex nursers too as they are like a breast and dont give up, I swear your baby will eat when he is hungry enough. just like he will sleep in a crib, bed, whatever when he is tired. just stand by bed and sh sh sh to him so he knows you are there, lay hom down when he is groggy but not totally asleep and keep trying. I know its hard to hear him cry but if you are there, he can see and hear you he is ok..just havoing to relearn how to do things. the more you give in to him the worse it is for HIM, think of that...and good luck hon -he will do fine. you would be amazed at how when they got to a new place they instictively know it s a new way to do something because that person leads them.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:23 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• if he gets hungry he will take to it i would try using a pacifier to get him used to the top and then try to ween him off but if u dont feed him by breast he will take to it soon .. squirt a little ontop top of nipple of bottle and let him get the taste it, and worst case is start pumping now...
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 12:25 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Another bottle to try is the Adiri Natural Nurser - we had an issue with my son not taking multiple different kinds, but he liked that one right away (it's shaped like and feels like a breast). Make sure that you are out of sight when he gets it and if he's hungry enough, he'll take it. Babies won't starve themselves.
    As for not napping on his own - that's another issue we had with my son and what finally worked with him was swaddling with the Miracle Blanket (he houdini'd his way out of other blankets, but that one stuck). I'd wrap him up and then rock him until he was droopy looking and then put him down almost asleep. I know I swaddled him longer than most moms, but it was the only way he would sleep - and we all know how precious sleep is!!!!! :)
    Good luck!!!!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 3:15 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• My son was used to the bottle but my issue was that once the nipple was too old to be used anymore my son would not take to another one (and the kind he had had been discontinued) he would not eat and would not use a sippy cup nothing seemed to work i resorted to syringing formula into his mouth for fear he would starve then just like a miracle he took to another nipple. try different shapes materials one will seem better than others and suddenly you will be all set (oh and stock up on replacements)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Your baby is not spoiled. Babies are supposed to make sure they are being held. It is a survival mechanism. You need to worry about the babies that just lay around 'being good.'

Your baby may not take a bottle and may cry all day. Can your husband or whoever is caring for the baby bring the baby to you at lunch to nurse? My son cares for his breastfed baby and takes him to be breastfed on his wife's break. Your baby may need to be fed with a sippy cup or some other way.

Your baby may sleep a lot during the day and start nursing several times at night. My DIL has gotten used to this and can't even remember how many times he nurses.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:46 AM on Oct. 20, 2009