Moving to another state. Advice?

I'm moving my family from WV to LA which is about 900 miles away within the next month. I would like tips from anyone that has moved that far or if you have moved with a little one. My daughter will be 12 monthswhen we move

Miss.Kristin

Asked by Miss.Kristin at 12:19 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My husband and I moved from Montana to Georgia when my son was 6 weeks old. The best thing to do IMO is try to break up the trip. My son was young enough that he slept most of the time. But when we travel with him now, we make sure to stop and eat at places with a playground. We also stopped for a few days in the middle of the trip to visit friends and let our son take a break from traveling. Other than that, I would let her out of the car at every stop. Change her diaper, and carry her with you around the lot or convenience store, or let her walk while you hold her hand if she can walk already. Then to help if she gets fussy when you put her back in the car, give her a small snack. On our last trip we kept those collapsible fabric bins in the car full of snacks for all of us. They are exactly the right size to fit in the floorboard in the backseat and hold juice boxes, crackers, etc. Also a portable DVD player is a lifesaver!
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 12:34 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Good luck!
    kikikiki

• We moved with a 3 year old and an 8 year old, from CA to OK, about 1,300 miles. We took our time. If you can pull it off, try to drive at night when the LO is sleeping. Be sure to take many diaper breaks. When we drove from SoCal to Washington (state) our LO was 14 months and we didn't stop often enough. His poor little bum. It got so rashy from just sitting all day.
    Also, of course, have plenty of snacks and distraction devices for your LO.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:41 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• We moved from MO to Chicago (about 350 miles) when our oldest was 3 weeks. Not much fun. I couldn't do anything since I had just had a c-section so we had to get help.
    Then in 2005 we moved from Chicago to Pittsburgh (about 500 miles). We did it all ourselves (with a uhaul) and 3 kids in tow (they were 2 1/2, 3 1/2 and about to turn 5).
    No advice. It was hell. I drove the van with our 2 girls (4 and 2), my dh was in the uhaul with our son. It took 10 hours to drive and then we had to unpack (after spending a day and a half packing it up) because the truck was due back the next morning. We were up until 2am and it was over 100F in the apt. I've never been so tired and physically exhausted.
    And we moved back 2 years later and are now moving to Milwaukee (just 2 hours away) with 4 kids now. Should be fun.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:23 AM on Oct. 20, 2009