PLEASE tell me when i can take a preg test if I'm breastfeeding! HELP.

Surely you BF moms have gone through this! I've been having unprotected sex with SO for 4 weeks now, and have no clue when I should take the pregnancy test. My last period was May 12. So please don't tell me "when you miss your period" like the dumb anon in my other post. Would the test be accurate if I take it now? Or should I wait longer? This is so confusing because i BF and cannot base this from a missed period.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, honestly, there is no good answer if you aren't having regular periods right now. You may not be ovulating regullary either, so I'd say if you are worried take a test just to be sure. And if the test comes out negative, and you are still concerned, then get a blood test at your dr. office. I've BF as well, and have taken a couple just to be safe. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• All you could do is test on occasion until you get a positive or your period comes. Dollar store tests are your new best friend, lol. This is coming from a woman who's gotten pregnant twice while breastfeeding.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:49 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• WOW.. I meant REGULARLY, sorry!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Has your period returned yet? If not, once a week till it comes up positive or your period returns. start tomorrow morning.

If your period returns, start charting per the instructions in "Taking Charge of Your Fertility." Using the method, you won't NEED tests to tell when you're ovulating or when you're pregnant. You'll already know. Indeed...I found that OPKs were inaccurate!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:51 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• take your temperature when you wake up in the morning, before going to the bathroom, for 18 days, if it stays above 98 degrees constantly you are pregnant...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a GREAT thing!!! I haven't had to test since, before I was testing every month. I still, at 11 mos PP have no period, and not protection other wise. My baby has cut down ALOT, so probably soon. But I will know. It really is a great option! Check out my journals on natural family planning, they answer alot of questions ppl have about it. Good luck!

clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 1:19 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• sorry to tell you, but the "Dumb anon" in your previous post was right. Breast feeding won't throw off the test, not THAT much.
    And if you've missed your period since may12th, i'm pretty sure if you were pregnant you'd know by now (especially if you were pregnant THEN) I got pregnant around May8th. I'm 6 months. you'd know.
    Go get a test and take it. and then get to your doc. 6 months without a period i doubt is healthy, even for BFing moms.
    Jordanplustwo

Answer by Jordanplustwo at 1:49 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Um Jordanplustwo? When you are BF you can have VERY irregular periods or non at all. She is not worried that BF will throw the test off, she is saying that she has no idea when she may or may not have ovulated because the BF can prevent a woman from ovulating or having her period for long lengths of time. Some BF mothers may have not periods for the entire time the BF which can be into the toddler years so much longer than 6 months and there is nothing unhealthy about that.
    kayla7795

Answer by kayla7795 at 3:30 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I got pregnant while breastfeeding with all my pregnancies but the first (of course)! I did have regular periods though. I agree with the person who suggested dollar store tests. They are all I use and cheap!! You can put your mind at ease and not waste a ton of money.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:56 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• anon :08...taking your temperature is NOT an accurate way to tell if you're pregnant. According to my temps I was not pregnant.

I now have a 3 year old who says I was.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Oct. 20, 2009