Would you rather your child go to one of the best schools in your city or live in a nice neighborhood?

My son goes to one of the best schools in our city. Right now, we own our condo but the surrounding area is filled with several apartments, and some rough looking houses (not well kept). There are some nicer houses in the school zone area but they are $300,000. Something we can't afford. We bought this condo thinking that we would only be living there for a few years but of course life got in the way. Well, now my husband wants to move, but I want to stay so my son can go to this school. They use to do out of zone and district tuition but they are doing away with that this year, because so many people have requested this one school that they can't handle the load of applications anymore. I think we should stay for 5 more years so that he can finish elementary school here. This will also give us 5 more years to save for a really nice home. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Sounds good to me.

but i'm sure your DH has some good arguments too. Sit down, go over the finances. figure out how much everything would cost. look at all the pros and cons to moving and staying. Also, write down the pros and cons in regards to your son as well.
    Talk about talk about it talk about it.

If you decide to stay ...you can always change your plans and move sooner then you thought you would. But if you move, you're probably not going to be able to get back into your condo if you change your mind.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:14 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• We've actually moved from a nice area (though we were renting, we didn't have to deal with selling a home) to an area that while nice, wasn't quite as "upscale" as the other neighborhood. (both houses were in areas that weren't traditionally "rental" areas - we're a military family and both houses were owned by other military that had been transferred but didn't want to sell).

We did it because the schools in the city where the first house was were substantially worse than one town over.

Our kids were in secondary school. They way my dh and I looked at it, what were we going to say to our kids down the line - sorry you couldn't get into the colleges you were wanting because your school sucked so bad, but hey, we had a great view for 3 yrs? As long as the neighborhood is a safe one, I would wait.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:14 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I would sit down with my spouse and figure out a solution that would be best for my child! Communication is key! We would whey the pros and cons for our solution! There are times when it is not about money! It is just about doing the right thing for your family, especially your kids! Balance.
    alyjax03

Answer by alyjax03 at 1:18 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I'd rather my kids go to a better school. You can always garage your cars and get an alarm. We traded a state with the top 10 percent of schools in the country when we moved here. We bought in an older neighborhood but safe and quiet so my kids could attend one of hte best districts in the area. They still suck..they are two years behind our old schools. But we chose not to build new so my kids could get the better education.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:33 AM on Oct. 20, 2009