Should I sell my car??

It's an older car, but it runs soo very well. Heat/AC works perfectly, starts up every time, new tires, new brakes, pads, shoes and everything. Engine is still very good.. etc.
We're moving and planning on driving 2200 miles to get to our destination. Driving only one car vs 2 wouldn't save us a HUGE amount of gas, since we're planning on keeping hubby's truck. I have a sentimental attachment to it, but that's really about it... We have another car down where we're moving to, just needs slight body work due to an accident a while back.
What would you do?
Sell the car and reap the benefits the extra cash would bring from the sale? Clean title and everything.

K_Sawyer

Asked by K_Sawyer at 1:27 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would sell it. When we moved from South Carolina to Washington state, we sold my 1997 Saturn. It was worth driving it across the country. When we leave here and move to Michigan in a few years, we'll sell my 06 Saturn Ion. It's just not worth having to drive separately across the country.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:31 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• What kind of car is it? Where are you located? I am looking for a car that sounds in pretty good shape.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:53 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Sell it! We have one car, take public transit, and use the occasional iGo

Answer by rkoloms at 10:00 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• If someone offered $500 would you take it?   If money is tight then let go of the car.  It's just a car and you've enjoyed it.  Make your decision on practical reasoning's and not sentimental ones. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• can you ship it?

a friend of mine moved across the country. she flew with the kids and had her minivan shipped - cost way less than driving.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Shipping would be $2000, which is a lot more than driving it down there.
    And no.... money is not that tight where I'd be willing to part with it for $500, wow.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 1:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Unless you could get the blue book value and what you really think it is worth then I would keep it. I just made a 2000 mile drive by myself and it did not wind ypbeing that bad. I spent about $300 dollars and it was my vehicle that gets very low miles per gallon. If you really like the car then I would say keep it. Really in the end it is up to you. If your husband has a truch have you ever thought about pulling your car with his truck. You can rent from U-Haul or places like a towing dolly or a trailer. Just another option. Hope you figure out something that you are happy with.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2009