position on waitlist

How long does it usually take to get on on base housing? i told the housing office that DH would be back at the end of nov. I checked my position and it said i was 309 out of 321. Wha would be my chances be of getting a house by that time?

1stCavWifey

Asked by 1stCavWifey at 1:46 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It depends, Sometimes it goes quick and other times not so much. At Tinker AFB we never got a house we were on the list for 2 years and got orders before we ever got a house. I really believe it depends on the base and whether it is privatized or not. I truly think privatized housing gets you in quicker.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 1:57 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• what exactly is privatized housing?
    1stCavWifey

Answer by 1stCavWifey at 2:00 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Privatized housing is when the military has hired a civilian company to run base housing. When we were in SC it was Balfour Beatty and out in Washington it is Forest City. Privatized housing tends to be better run in my opinion. Good luck, that seems like quite a waiting list, but I don't know how big the base is. We just recently moved off base.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:13 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• its Ft. hood Tx. its really big!!
    1stCavWifey

Answer by 1stCavWifey at 2:16 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It took my parents an entire year when my father was reassigned from Lakehurst, NJ to El Toro, CA (this was long, long ago--in a far away world where El Toro existed as more than a movie prop).
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 9:30 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It also depends on what type of housing you will be going into. When DH was still in the Marines, we were on the waitlist for base housing in HI. We had been on the list for almost 6 months and were still only about halfway to the top. They had us listed for a 2 bedroom since we did not have any children. When I got pregnant, they changed the listing to show put us in either 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom and it was only about 2 weeks before we got into a 3 bedroom.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 12:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It depends on the area and the time of year most PCS's occur.  People are moving in and out constantly, but usually the military attempt to move people in waves (ie: May, January). There is no way to say for certain. In our area, it's cheaper to live off of base. The housing mkt took a complete dive and people can rent a home on their BAH and pay the utilities for a better price than privatized base housing. So base housing is empty to the point they are renting our to contractoris and civillians. If you are on a wait list, the number doesn't mean anything, other than check on it regularly. We have friends in Hawaii who are waitlisted. They have a family of 5 renting a 2 bedroom apartment off base and they still need to come up with $$ past their BAH to pay the rent...  There is no formula to determine when  you will get housing....  It just depends.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2009