Do you get mad at people who park in handicapped spots, but appear to be fine?

I was discussing this with someone the other day. She said how mad a lady made her because she parked in a handicapped spot and wasn't handicapped. I simply said, "how do you know?" She replied, "well, she wasn't, she walked into the store just fine."
I said, "I have a handicapped sign for my car too." And I explained to her, that I may start out fine, but by twenty or so minutes I have to sit down. I can barely make it to my car sometimes because I am in so much pain. But noone knows this because, A. I am youngish. B. I don't walk with assistance. (a cane or walker).

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 2:24 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No, not at all. My dad has Parkinson's disease, and he can be perfectly fine, and five minutes later he can barely stand up. You never know what's happening with someone else, and if you're not handicapped, what does it matter if they park in a parking spot that you wouldn't use in the first place?
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:28 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• My friend has handicapped plates because she's the sole transport for her mother. She's had complete strangers yell at her for taking up regular parking places instead of using the handicapped ones - she only uses handicapped when her mom's with her. It takes all kinds.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• That's a good point. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:36 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• No, How can you know if the person is really fine? They obviously have a sticker saying that they are handicapped so they have every right to park there.
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 2:48 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Like anon said. My mom is handicapped. I drive her around a lot or go places to pick her up. I have gotten a lot of stares from strangers. Usually I walk out to get the car, than pull up right next to the entrance so she doesn't have to walk all the way to the parking lot. That is when I get the most dirty looks because they don't see my mom, they just see me hoping in the car.
    I once had a cop staring at me as I loaded the groceries and got into the car while my mom waited in the store for me. He pulled up right behind me and asked if that was really my handicapped license and I had to explain the situation. He made sure to watch me as I pulled up to the front to pick my mom up.
    I don't see why people get so mad about it. Like SarahLee said "its not like they could have parked there anyways".
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 2:51 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• AnnaMac: I hope that cop was at least polite about it! He was just doing his job, after all, and a lot of people lie to cops, but they can be so incredibly rude about these things, I think a lot of them are jaded.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:54 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I don't have a problem with it. I have friends and family that have handicapped passes. You can't just get them. You have to have a need. I'm not their Dr, I haven't examined them, I don't know what their health issues are, or if they're having a really good day, and they only way they can keep having a good day is to not push it, or if they're walking to the store while feeling a lot of pain, but aren't grimacing or being obvious about it, because they live with the pain all the time.

So I never make assumptions about people I see parked there. Now, I have gotten mad at a couple of people I know that have taken advantage of it - one lady I knew bragged about how she would use her mom's car (with handicapped pass) like for Christmas shopping so she "didn't have to fight for a spot" - btw, her mom wouldn't be with her.

I think THAT is wrong!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:45 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• My mom is disabled (Fibromyalga among many other things) so she's had a handicapped placard for almost my whole life. She only uses it if she's in pain. She tries to park more away from the door for exercise but if she can't find a better parking spot or she hurts she'll use her placard. When she met my step-dad, he would use hers to be able to park in the front. She kept telling him it was illegal and she finally made him get his own. He has Diabetes so his leg swells up and since he works at Boeing he needs a parking spot closer to the entrance because by the end of the day his leg is "killing" him with pain.

To answer your question, I don't get mad per se, but I do think it is VERY wrong to use someone else's handicapped placard just to get a closer parking spot. My brother did that with my mom's before he moved out. She was mad as hell when she found out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I do not appear disabled, but I have the permit and I use it. I can usually get into places fine, but by the time I come out I'm ready to drop and can barely make it back to the car. Living with cronic pain is no picnic. It's not right for people to judge. They don't know what your situation is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:29 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Now what really bothers me is when those "expectant mothers" or "mothers will small children" spots are taken up by men! lol Its so rude
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:59 AM on Oct. 20, 2009