how long did it take you to wean your babies off the bottle?

my 15 month old refuses to use a cup. he will just keep throwing it away from him. ive bought tons of cups, none have his interest

keematmom

Asked by keematmom at 12:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it took me a month and i was consistant in giving it to her daily to try (it had to be the soft tip though, at first. i realized it helped if i squeezed the tip into her mouth so she knew what it was and of course she fought me all the way.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 1:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• LOL My 3 1/2 yr old STILL gets a bottle at bed time. She won't go to sleep without it half the time she doesn't even drink it she pretty much just holds it and she is asleep I guess kind of like a security blanket.
    momto1727

Answer by momto1727 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Have you tried the Nuk Learner cup? The "nipple" on it is more like a bottle nipple - it is the only cup my son will take. Plus it has the handles on the side for easier holding.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• WELL WITH MY FIRST I TOOK HER OFF WHEN SHE WAS 12 MONTHS OLD, SHE WEANED EASLY, BUT I THINK THAT HAD TO DO WITH THE FACT I USED THE AVENT BOTTLES THAT THEN HAD THE TOPS THAT TRANSFERED INTO THE SIPPY CUP. SO MAYBE SEE IF THE BOTTLES THAT YOUR BABYS USED TO HAS A CONVERTER TOP-SIPPY TOP. (I HOPE MY NEXT IS THAT EASY!?!) GOOD LUCK! WISH YOU SUCESS! :)SMILES!
    KAYOCHOA

Answer by KAYOCHOA at 2:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• The longest it took with any of my children is 10 hours. On the day that was declared "no more bottles day" I told my son that he had to start drinking from a big boy cup (13 months old).I offered him a cup of milk and he refused it, I told him "I'm sorry, the bottles are all gone, you can have this cup when you are ready". I kept offering him the cup, he refused it every time and I did not offer him anything BUT THE CUP. The day passed and finally around 5:30 pm he just couldn't take being thirsty anymore. He indicated that he wanted a drink, I offered him his cup, he plopped down right there on the kitchen floor and sucked that cup dry and wanted more. We never looked back at bottles again...he was my hardest to convert. By the time babies are a year old, they are perfectly capable of drinking from a cup, the problem is mommy has to be stronger willed than baby. No harm is going to come to your child if they choose to go thirsty and wait a few hours before giving in to the cup.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• At 10 months I gave my son one of the nuby cups with the long nipples on it like a baba and he did really well with it. Then after about 2 1/2 wks on those, I went to the regular hard nubys and he's been bottle free since then! Good luck.
    mama2britnkaleb

Answer by mama2britnkaleb at 4:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• my twins were about 10 months when they went off the bottle. i tried for weeks on regular sippy cups and bought about 4 different kinds. they wouldnt use any of them. until i bought the straw kind then they tossed the bottle.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• 3 days. The first 2 he wouldnt touch any of the sippies I gave him. The 3rd day, he took one, I never gave him a bottle again. Kinda harsh maybe, but it worked. I figured once he took it, we were good to go. But since yours won't even take one..>I have NO clue what to tell you there. But if he does take one. make it the only option.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 11:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My son Kalon was 8 mths old when he stopped drinking from a bottled. I use to give him 1 at night and let him drink from the nuby cups and then finally i started giving him the nuby cups at night and nomore bottle
    Kalonsmommie

Answer by Kalonsmommie at 11:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2008