• In the Spotlight:

Is it "normal" to experience depression when you are menstruating?

I have noticed this more and more after the birth of my second son. Before I would get a little moody and have cramps, but nothing unusual. Now not only to my periods last 2 or 3 days longer, but I am so much more emotional. I am usually a level-headed, calm person. Rarely emotional or dramatic. The rest of the month I am my normal happy self, but during the week of my period and maybe a few days before I just don't feel right. I can't consentrate and get stressed out easliy. I have also noticed I get really depressed. I question everything in my life, for example, if my marriage is right, if I am heading in the right direction, if I am a good enough mom. I also take any "rejection" very personally. Today my mom couldn't talk to me on the phone and I felt rejected and as if she doesn't want anything to do with me anymore. I feel as if I could break out crying at any moment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Health

• I know a lot of women experience PMS more dramatically than I had in the past and I am just wondering if I now am just having emotional periods like other women, or if something is wrong with me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I think it is normal. I get like that, too.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:54 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I get like that. If it bothers you maybe you should talk to your dr and see if the bc your on has too high hormones.
    StefInfection

Answer by StefInfection at 10:08 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It is very common for your hormonal balance to change after the birth of a child. Some women only experience a change in their cycle as far as fewer or more days, whereas others see a change in mood, appitite, etc. In some instances the body regulates over time and the change passes, where sometimes the change is permenant and further meassures need to be taken. Such meassures include hormone suppliments, birth control, or even counseling. Talk with your Gyno and see what suggestions they have to help regulate and control your new menstral cycle.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2009