Hygene issues with teen boy.

So a few years ago DS had problems pooping his pants, took him to the dr and there was some kind of obstruction. Anyway he basically had to learn all over again. So lots of accidents later he finally stopped and the last few weeks he hasn't been wiping himself properly and has been having accidents.
We are at our wits end and have tried everything.
Anyone have any CONSTRUCTIVE advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• i really dont know what to say...have you guys tried explaining to him about the importance of good hygene and the consequences if he doesnt practice it? (getting sick, bacteria, maybe even mold growing down there? i remember my health teacher telling me that when i was in school). i hope he isnt in school when all of this happens, that would be awful.
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 8:12 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• When I was a teacher, I had a 15 year old student with this same issue. The kids made fun of him because he smelled so bad. He even sat way back in a corner by himself because no one could stand the smell long enough to sit next to him.

From watching that family's struggle it seems like the key to his getting better was having a really good pediatrician. Find a dr that really cares about how embarrassing this situation is and how important it is to him socially to get this resolved. A good pediatrician will also offer great advice about how you as his mom can talk to him and offer support.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:56 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• If you can't impress it upon him, unfortunately someone else will. Don't know his age, but natural consequences may step in and teach him a painful lesson. If he's not too old, then he may need a madetory daily shower, or twice a day, if the accidents are occuring more often. Use something that he like as incentive. Good Luck
    MammaGee

Answer by MammaGee at 9:58 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• My son had some issues like this up until about the 6th grade. He kept an extra pair of underwear and some wipes in his locker. We put them in a discreet plastic bag and he shoved them way in the back. This way, if he had an accident, he had a way of cleaning himself up. He would just throw his dirty underwear away. We also had to let the teachers know that he might need some extra time in the bathroom occassionally.

I feel for your son, it is a humiliating problem for a kid this age.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 11:55 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I agree with danetts624 .
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• sounds like he has encopresis. It stretches the rectum and deadens the nerves around the rectum, which means he can't quite feel it til he starts to go in his pants. I'm going through it with a 5 year old, and my other son did that til he was 12. look it up online, there's lots of stuff about it. Good luck, it's not easy to deal with.
    DIANE463

Answer by DIANE463 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Thank you diane, that sounds like just what he has. He has been doing much better lately. AT first we thought he was just being lazy but that article was very insightful.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 8:03 AM on Dec. 1, 2009