What would you do if you found out that your grown children stole about $3800.00 from your bank account?

We don,t know how other people would have handled it, but we felt that we had no choice but to turn them in for their crime!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• I would have called the police. Just because it is family that stole from me does not make it ok.

Answer by louise2 at 8:06 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I agree with pp to call the police. Id also find out HOW he was able to take this money and go after the bank for not protecting your account
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:08 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Tough love unfortunately. They stole, they get reported. It's just the right thing to do!
    bobeena

Answer by bobeena at 9:50 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• yup call the police. We actually did this to DH's mother and his X wife
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I understand that they're my child, and some people would feel that it can go unpunished. However, I have always been a firm believer that any child should be held responsible for their actions. That goes as far as to say that I would never bail my child out of jail, never would I sway a story to make my child appear innocent if they are not, etc. If my child stole any sort of money from my account, purse, etc, I would hold them accountable. In your case, this means turning them into the authorities and showing them they cannot freely take what isn't theirs. No child should learn that any crime is okay to commit. All crimes have consequenses. All choices do as well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• The same thing I did when my daughter stole my diamond earings & necklace. I turned her into the police. She needed to be held accountable for what she did. I would also go after the bank because unless your child is on the account she shouldn't be able to get anything out of it. If she did have access then legally you can't turn her in to the police because the money was her's as well.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I would have them arrested. It's theft. Don't worry about ruining your relationship with them. They just did that all by themselves. Oh, they will act like they just can't believe you would file a complaint. They will be all incredulous at the injustice of the sitiuation, but you are the ones who have been wronged. If you don't do something now, they WILL do it again.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Well, fisrt of all they are old enough to know right from wrong.If this their first offence of doing something this terrible. I would be very upset with them but I would have a talk with them of why they have doen this to you And then report them to the police.. Maybe you can do a light sentencing if this the first. the second make it a longer sentence. And the third time let them rot in jail for as long as they have to. I know its tough its tough but if you don't do this then somewhere down the line your grown kids will do worse,
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:29 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I would turn them in. They already violated the whole family thing so, what's the point in caring.
    Anonymous

• I had my son arrested when he was 16 for taking my ATM card after I went to bed and withdrawing $2768 from my account over a month. Thank goodness I had the money in the account. I found out when I checked my bank statement. He went to court and was ordered to repay me. My son is now 22 and learned a lesson about stealing from the experience. Turn your child in. If they took the money from anyone else they would have to face the consequences.

PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 4:26 PM on Oct. 24, 2009