Just starting baby food....?

Okay so my son will not eat any kind of the baby food fruits from a jar....he will eat every veggy I try but not one fruit....is this normal...is this okay? should I just keep trying? At first I thought it was good but doesn't he need fruits as well?!

konnorsmommy09

Asked by konnorsmommy09 at 8:15 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its normal, he is just learning what food is. Give him time and keep trying, I bet he starts to like them in no time. Good luck!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 8:46 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Baby food is only to practice chewing and swallowing. Wait until he's older and give him the real stuff! (still have to try it for a few days, one ingredient at a time, though)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• After 6 months you can give him "real" food. My daughter went from breast to table food.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 10:59 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• You do not need to use jar food ever. You can give your baby the real thing. A good website with info on starting is www.kellymom.com
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:30 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• it's not a big deal, just keep going with the veggies and keep trying the fruit one day he may change his mind.
    trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 11:42 AM on Oct. 20, 2009