What are your thoughts on the swine flu shot?

I'm 7 weeks pregnant and have a 17 month old, and i dont know what to do! Its so new that i dont know if i should get it myself or give it to my daughter either. So what are your thoughts on it? I stay home and babysit another little girl...but that little girl goes to a preschool 2 days a week! So im worried she will bring it here!!!

babymaddy

Asked by babymaddy at 8:18 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Health

• If your Dr said you don't need then that should be good. If the little girl you watch gets sick with anything make it clear to her parents you can't watch her for the sake of your own daughter. Just be totally upfront that you will not tolerate watching someone elses sick child.
    StefInfection

Answer by StefInfection at 10:06 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Talk to your DR. about it. People will say it's too new but so is the regular flu shot every year.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• i have talked to him, he doesnt think that either of us need it because neither of us get the reg flu shot since she isnt in daycare, but now that the little girl i keep goes to preschool two days a week i worry she will bring it here. And my daughter gets sick very easy, as i did when i was a kid. It seems she is always sick with a cold. Like right now she has a double ear infection, sinus infection, and bronchitis! And she gets vitamins and is always properly dressed, i dont know what else to do for her!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 8:36 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Don't just talk to your Dr. Do some actual research on your own. Too many parents leave too many things up to their Dr's.
    Here ya go!
    http://www.nvic.org/Vaccines-and-Diseases.aspx
    Click on "H1N1 Swine Flu" to read about it.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 10:41 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Many doctors have conflicting views of this shot. In my pediatritians office, the doctors don't even agree, and they are honest about it. My personal doctor thinks kids are most at risk, but not adults. My parents doctor (who works with my doctor) said no to the shot, even though my parents have medical issues. My obgyn says i don't have to get it since we're not pregnant yet. I would consult more than one doctor, and especially a obgyn expert and see what they say. Don't just go on only one doctors opinion.

My son and i both recently has the swine flu. A LOT of kids in his school have it/had it recently. So now we don't need to worry about whether or not to get the shot. Here, it's been mild. But if someone has any other medical conditions, it can complicate those and make it serious (just like the regular flu). be careful what you read online. When my son was diagnosed, i was scared b/c of all the media about it.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• For my son, it only lasted 5 days from start to finish, and only 2 days were really bad (high fever). For me, it lasted a little longer b/c i already had a sinus and ear infection to begin with. My good friends son was in the hospital for a week with it b/c he had a complication that the swine flu worsened.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 11:20 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Personally, I am not going to get myself or my family vaccinated. I don't feel that it is a neccisary step for us to take. However, I do suggest that you research the contents of the vaccine, the side effects, and the actual percentage of it preventing the H1N1 virus. If you feel comfortable with the results that you find, then go ahead and get the vaccine. Talk it over with your doctor and see what their thoughts are on the matter. Your doctor and your child's Pedi may help shed some light on it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2009