Kindergartener giving his money away at school what to do?

I caught my son taking $2 to school today, he said someone needed it. He seemed kind of upset when I took the money out of his bag and told him no it was not going. I checked the money he had in his room and I think some is missing. I am concerned that one of his friends may be using him or he is being bullied. The only problem is he loves school and never wants to miss. He is a very kind person and will give away pretty much anything he has. How do I explain to him that giving away his money is not a good idea especially if it is a friend using him? Do you think he is being bullied? How would you go about talking to him about the whole situation? He also does not like to tell me alot so I think this may be like pulling teeth. I am upset at the idea of someone using my son's kindness for their benefit and the chance that they are only his friend for that reason. What would you do?

evansmommy03

Asked by evansmommy03 at 9:05 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My first thought is that he's being bullied and that someone is forcing him to give them money in order to avoid a beating.

I would contact his teacher today and schedule a conference. She may or may not have noticed what's going on...yet. I say yet because after you speak with her about the issue she will start paying close attention and may figure out what's going on for you.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:51 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Why would you be giving your Kindergartener that much money in the first place? My son is also in Kindergarten and he does NOT get any money! We have a piggy bank for him but I have it where I can see it at all times.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Maybe he is giving the money to someone that has no money. Someone that is living in poverty and doesn't have money to eat lunch and your son is giving him the money so this kid can eat. It could be that he doesn't know how to tell you. It also could be the bullying thing, but either way I would talk to the teacher about what is going on. Also, talk to your son about why he needs the money.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:40 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Just to clarify my son does not have tons of money. He gets money for his birthdays from family members and his tooth fairy money. I ask that he save the money to encourage him to spend wisely and learn the value of money. I allow him to keep it in a "treasure box" that we made together cause I feel it is important for him to learn responsibility early. I am only concerned that he is being used or bullied.
    evansmommy03

Answer by evansmommy03 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 20, 2009