Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think if there are able bodied people in the household that can work, that anyone should be receiving FREE cash aid?


Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • I think it depends on the specific situation. If they are family than msybe maybe not. If they are roommates and say the person is disabled or something than I think they should. Nobody likes to the system get cheated but the reality is that it happens everyday.

    Answer by justluvinmyson at 9:23 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

  • They shouldn't have to work if the daycare will eat up all the cash aid and probably the pay check too. What would be the point?

    Answer by Pnukey at 9:24 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

  • My family is on food stamps and I stay home with our children. With my HS diploma and some college I'm not going to get a job making even decent money around here so I'd end up applying for daycare aid--- in short, either we'd be asking for $350 in food money every month or $1000 in daycare. This is a temporary situation for us-- DH finishes his bachelors degree next spring, so then he'll either be job hunting or going into med school--- one way or another we'll be off food stamps and contributing to the economy.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

  • Yes, I think it should be allowed. Honestly, a lot of times having someone in the home helps a family run smoother. A lot of times, that FREE cash aid is given to those who are disabled. Caring for someone with a disability is a full-time job all by itself. And mothers can frequently do more good as a SAHM than in the workplace.

    And, in case your wondering, no, I do not receive PA.

    Answer by tyheamma at 9:58 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

  • I think as a temporary fix while looking for work its fine... I think if you can not get by without help, you should be in school, looking for work or getting some skills. I think even if you break even with daycare, working is a good thing so you can get promoted, ect... You have to start some where. In the case of the above ANON, they have a plan to survive on one income in the near future. If you do not see being able to support yourself in say 6 months (like you are waiting to graduate) than looking for a job or schooling is what you need to be doing.

    Answer by wildboyz1994 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

  • Yes, I think they should be able to get cash assistance. The point isn't if they CAN work, but if they can FIND work. Sometimes it's very, very hard to find work.

    In most states there are strict rules about doing community service work and applying for jobs... it's not as easy as just going to sign up for free cash.

    Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:42 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

  • nope

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

  • When my husband was out of work we applied for food stamps (which we got) but you cant just "get cash". They dont just hand over cash! Hell yeah we needed something to help us at that time (just had a new baby & husband got fired right before Thanksgiving) but no we got no "free cash". We had to cash in his piddly 401 K so we could pay the rent & have a meager xmas till he found a job (which he did right before xmas...literally days before) Yeah so we cashed in the 401 K (which was only $1300 after taxes were taken out) paid our rent & bills & bought a few gifts for xmas. Thank god we were able to do that or we would have been SOL! Like someone said they dont just hand out cash to people even if you can prove your in need of it like we were.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

  • There are some situations where all able bodied people in the home work and the income is still considered poverty or low income. It depends on the actual income of the household as to whether they should be recieving government aid or not. I don't agree with people who live off of government aid when they can very well work and/or work somewhere else and get a better sallary. Some situations, however, don't allow the adults in the home to recieve a higher income and/or a better position at a job. Therefore, that case may require some government assitence to help them through month to month.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:26 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

  • Well, I am able bodied and fully capable of work. BUT FINDING A JOB IS NOT EASY. Just because someone doesn't work even tho they are capable of it, doesn't mean that they are lazy. I have been looking for a job since august, and guess what, nothing has come up. I mean I could always work at mcdonalds or taco bell and make only 7 bucks an hour, but that won't even cover my rent. So yeah, if I need the financial assistance from the government, because there are no freaking jobs out there because of the sucky economy, well guess what I am going to take that assistance and be grateful for it. You don't know what their situation is, so why don't you STFU and worry about your own family. Do something useful with your time, instead of bitching about sh** you don't even have a clue what you're talking about.

    Answer by chavela_carlita at 1:47 PM on Oct. 20, 2009