How can I get 6 year old to stop wetting the bed?

He wets the bed pretty much every single night. We have him sleeping in pull ups because it is so bad. He never has accidents during the day. I am out of ideas to get it to stop. We tried taking away the pull ups at night and it was a huge mess. Whats worse is he has a loft bed and it is impossible to make and I am getting sick of changing sheets every day. Does anybody have any ideas or things that worked for your kids?

evansmommy03

Asked by evansmommy03 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There is no simple fix. Talk to your pediatrician. It's usually just a matter of his body growing faster than his bladder, when it catches up the bed wetting will stop.
    The best thing to do is NOT make a bid deal about it, otherwise it can cause him emotional damage/self confidence issues and can make the bed wetting last longer. Do NOT punish or get angry. Put something over the mattress so it doesn't ruin it and learn to deal with changing the sheets. It's part of the mommy package and it won't last forever.
    Have you tried taking him to the bathroom before you go to bed? Or putting a change of sheets under a plastic sheet and then sheets over that? Makes for a easy sheet change in the middle of the night.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• take away drinks about an hour before bed. that way he goes before sleep and hopefully there's nothing left in his system. if you hear him stirring around in the middle of the night, get him up and have him go to the bathroom. good luck!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 9:42 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I had that problem around that age and my mother took me to a specialist. The Dr. flushed fluid into my bladder and used some sort of ultrasound to see how large my bladder was. Turns out, my bladder wasn't growing fast enough to keep up w/ my body. So, I was able to control it during the day, but I couldn't make it through the long nights w/o wetting the bed. The Dr. said that if it didn't grow over a certain timeframe, he would have to go in and physically stretch it! Thank goodness my bladder grew before that was necessary! My little cousin also had the same problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Instead of complaining, why don't you take him to the doctor and find out if something is wrong with him? He could have an underdeveloped bladder, overactive bladder. A lot of boys wet the bed until they begin puberty and their muscles develop.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 20, 2009