How can I keep my child away from a Cast Iron Heater?

My soon to be mother in law has a old fashioned cast iron gas heater and its out in the open where Claire my 8 month old could get burned and theres no way to move it. How can I keep her away from it? she is in the crawling stage and it hasn't been turned on yet , I'm just scared when they start turning it on that some one will put her down and she'll crawl right to it. How can we safely cover it? or keep her away from it?

MamaLeah0209

Asked by MamaLeah0209 at 9:17 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• set up a baby gate around it...get the kind that make a "cage"
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:25 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Children can understand HOT at a very young age. i know that she is young, but as soon as that heater is turned on she will be able to eel heat from it. she should be learning the word NO by now and if every time she goes close to it you say No, HOT, and remove her from the immeadiate area she will know that she isnt to go near it. Once she learns it is hot, I doubt you will have any problems.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• You can use child gates around it. A safe distance around it, so that if she were to reach out she still couldn't reach it. Another good way is to start her off early in learning that, that isn't something we play with. By simply telling her "No, we don't play with that." Give her reasons why, even if the reasons aren't at the time relevant. (Like it's too hot to touch) Teaching her early before it is turned on will help sway her before it does get turned on.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2009