Do you think it's possible to get a good haircut at a place like Great Clips for $7.99?

I'm trying to save money and getting a haircut really is a splurge. My normal hairdresser will charge me $25 minimum but really her haircuts average about $45 plus tip. She gives good haircuts, sometimes fantastic ones but the past few times I've been in they've just been "okay." I'm getting married on Saturday and my hair has gotten a little shaggy. I'm thinking of throwing all caution to the wind and going down the street to Great Clips and cashing in the coupon I've got for a $7.99 cut........Am I crazy or what?

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 9:28 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Not that anyone will check back.......but.......I got a pretty fantastic cut for $7.99. I tipped her a $10 and am completely happy. The bangs need to be blended a bit but after calling her she said I can just stop back in tomorrow and have it fixed. Totally worth it.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• No. My hair was done at a walk in place a week before my wedding and it came out fine.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 9:32 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Great Clips does a really good job. I used to cut my own hair and do a decent job so its no big thing for me to go to Great Clips or anywhere it is cheap. It would kill me to spend $45.00 on a haircut!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It totally depends on the stylist. I've gotten decent cuts and bad cuts at both cheap places and upscale salons. With your situation, it's a little different--you're getting married, and I'm assuming there will be a ton of photos...unless you're just getting a trim or something, I'd probably not be willing to chance it on an unknown right before such an event. Maybe you should spend the money with a great stylist for your wedding 'do, then try out the bargain places some other time. :) Congrats on your upcoming wedding!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:50 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• See if you can get a good stylist recommendation. My best friend works at Great Clips and does an amazing job. (She's been cutting my hair since I was 16.) She'd give you a wonderful $7.99 haircut-- but there's a couple women in her salon that I wouldn't let near me with scissors for a hundred bucks.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 9:52 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I get my bangs cut after my boys get their hair cut at Sport Clips...we love a certain stylist there...my husband loves her also- he asked me to get her cell number LOL just in case she ever moves to another store- so that we can follow her.

I'd try it...you can save a ton
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• i had my hair done at a great clips, took a coupon with me too lol. i tipped the woman excellent bc i loved the do. they're all trained at about the same kind of schools. why wouldn't they be able to do just as good a job as other salons
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:39 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I agree with the PP that said it all depends on the stylist. I've been to some and gotten good cuts and some 'not so good' cuts.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I won't go to any place around here like Great Clips. I have had terrible experiences and refuse to go again no matter how tight money is. I pay $30 to get my hair done, no tip (they don't accept tips where I go) and get a mini- facial and my hands and arms massaged while I am there as well. It's not a bad deal.
    Anonymous

• Yes! But it does depend on the stylist, I have had friends who get crooked hair cuts. I went to great clips on year to save money and found the best hair stylist I have ever had, she should have been working at a top salon not great clips. I saw her for years and now that I've moved I see someone else and pay 45 to have my hair cut (not including tip). The stylist from great clips is still better and I paid half the price because I would tip her really well.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2009