Should I be pissed at my hairdresser for this?

I get to my appt. which was made 7 weeks ago & the other stylist tells me that my hairdresser had to fly out of state because her mother got ill. I am pretty sure that she took her appt. book with her as she usually does. I had to find a babysitter & everything. I feel bad that her mom is sick but couldn't I have gotten a phone call. I am thinking of calling somewhere else!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Well, I understand why you're upset, but I can also see this from her perspective. If her mother lives in another state, I'd say whatever happened to her must have been pretty serious. She was probably very upset and concerned, and honestly, for me, if I was in her situation, my job would be the last thing on my mind. I would call somewhere else so you can get your hair done for now, but when she gets back, maybe ask how her mother is, and if things are fine, maybe you could casually mention that she should call her clients to let them know she has to leave town - or she could leave her appt book and have one of her co-workers do it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:34 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I If my mother was ill, I'm gone and could careless to contact anyone due to my job. I understand you do see a stylist that takes her book and when should she find the time to call. You don't have a clue if her mom is even going to make it. I think her workmates should have asked for information to contact everyone instead of her. Your stylist is scared to death about her mother right now.... I would find a different place to have my hair done.
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 10:35 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I think that if you have been w/her for a while and this is the first time something had happened to inconvenience you then Iyou should cut her some slack. Only if it is a recurring issue would I think to go elsewhere but I am a very loyal person.
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I'm in the minority here I guess. She could easily have asked someone else to contact her appointments and let them know she had an emergency. I understand emergencies. She also has a job and clientele to worry about if she intends to payy her bills. I totally get the OP's point. She scheduled almost 2 months in advance, had to pay a sitter and then couldn't get her hair done and not one person from the salon picked up the phone. I would be irritated too.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:56 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I understand why you're upset with the salon for not properly contacting you prior to her leaving. However, in this situation I think it's best to just let it be. Due to the fact that her mother is ill, and while she does run a business her family is more important. I am sure you would feel the same way if the positions were reversed. Again, I think we all can relate to your frustration with having to find out the day of the appointment, but I think this one time can slip.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I think I would be more upset with the salon than the actual hairdresser. They should make sure they have a record of appointments for situations just like this. The poor girl's mom may be dying (we don't know what is wrong for sure) so I bet her job is the last thing on her mind, but the salon should have realized her clients would still be coming and deserve a head's up. This is just me but I would mention to the salon that maybe they should have record of appointments but let it slide with the hairdresser this time.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I wouldn't be upset with her. Think about it lets say you were at a salon working and your child is severly hurt would you call everyone in your appt book and reschedule their appts first or would you go to your childs school asap and get your child? Same thing with parents. I think thinking of it as your child makes it easier to understand.
    Anonymous

• you know what? your hairdresser doesn't need you or desire clients like you who would get this pissed about an emergency situation. how many times has an emergency come up in a client's day....and days later or even weeks later, they FINALLY call their hairdresser to 'explain'.
    some salons (like mine) are full of boothrenters who run their own business. what i have on my books, and who i do in my chair, is no other stylist's business. its mine alone. it is not my fellow booth renters, or even the salon owner's responsibility to contact clients in a situation like this. if someone else is available to service you, then go for it. they'll only be doing you and themselves a favor...and trust me, your hairdresser is not thinking about your appointment 24/7..i don't care how long you've held that time-slot. is is unfortunate that her mother fell ill, or worse? yes. that's what's important to her at this time. not you. sorry!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Hi. My name is Natasha and I'm a Cosmetologist. I can strongly feel where tropicalmama is coming from on the highest degree. But at the same time I kinda feel where golielock37 is coming from too. In my opinion, coming from a professional, I love my job in Cosmetology very much. I love serving my clients and seeing the looks on their faces when they're satisfied. But when it comes to my family.... Especially.... My mother..... If I hear ANYTHING about her being ill..... I'm gonna bounce! My job will be THE LAST THING on my mind. I can always find another job. But I only get one mother. And once she's gone, that's it. I'm not at all trying to jump on you.. In any kind of way. But, in her defense.. she had a family emergency. And wasn't thinking straight. As far as her scheduling you 7 weeks in advance, things happen. And if that were the case, then the salon should've found you another stylist or another salon.No disrespect
    jazzy_lady_03

Answer by jazzy_lady_03 at 7:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• The hairnazi also made an excellent point. "Your hairdresser is not thinking about your appointment 24/7." Once again, no disrespect. But when it comes to your family, especially your mother... You come last. But I'm pretty sure that you're not her only client that this has happened to.
    jazzy_lady_03

Answer by jazzy_lady_03 at 7:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2009