My MIL loves to spend time with my son who is 5 and my nephew who is 2,but will not have much to do with my daughter. How do i try to get her to spend time with my daughter??

My MIL loves boys but does not like dealing with girls! How do I try to get her to spend time with my daughter? I do not want to hurt her feelings but I feel my daughter is getting the shitty end of the stick!!

cindimoore

Asked by cindimoore at 10:46 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How old is your daughter?
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Since she is spending time with your son this gives you special time with your daughter. Take advantage of it and make her feel special. You could make a list of things you would like to do with her without your son and then when your MIL takes your son you can refer to the list for ideas.

You can't make your MIL want to do things with your daughter. If you make a big deal out of it your MIL could get mad, your husband could get mad, and your daughter may feel even more left out. You don't say your daughter's age. That may have something to do with it. When she gets older your MIL may be more interested in spending time with her.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:52 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• there's really nothing you can do. its something that she has to learn.

my MIL still hasn't acknowledged my younger 2 (we had more kids before dh's siblings had any - evidently it was the wrong thing to do *ugh*) - we just make sure that if one is there they are all there. or make a point of taking my youngest to visit her and just emphasizing what the 'odd one out' is up to.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:53 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Talk with your MIL as to why she feels the way she does. Then try and introduce your daughter slowly in the situation. Whether it's having your daughter play with the boys while your MIL plays with them, or leaving your daughter in the room with your MIL for little amounts of time to start.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2009