How should I introduce finger foods, and when?

also, If I were to give my DD toast... do I give her the whole piece? or should I cut it up? I dunno

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies can start solids at 4-6 months. If the baby is breastfed it's better to wait until around 6 months because any solids the baby eats takes the place of breastmilk. There is no need to ever use commercial foods like baby cereal, jar foods, those puff things, ect.

Some good first solids are mashed banana, sweet potato, yam, or avocado. The baby can feed itself. Toast would not be a good idea until a baby is older because it is dry and the baby could choke.

A good website with info about starting solids is www.kellymom.com

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:14 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• This has been the absolute best source for my baby food questions all the way thru a year old. It has recipes, food suggestions, age charts, meal plans, and nutrition info on every fruit and vegetable you give your child! I love it. wholesomebabyfood.com. This is the link to the age chart but explore the whole website.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:30 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• both websites are great!
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 11:32 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I waited until my kids were 6 months before introducing solids, and started the "finger food" at the same time as the "baby food" - - Baby mum mums are a rice cracker that dissolves quickly in their mouths with no mess, and both kids loved them. By the time they were 7 months they had mastered the puffs and cheerios as well. After that I began introducing things like toast that weren't as mushy/dissolvable as other finger foods. The slightly mashed bananas and avocados make a great finger food, as well as small pieces of pasta. I started ground beef and small bites of chicken around 9 months. By 10 months, there's not much they can't have (other than the high-allergy foods and honey, which should all wait until 1 yr or later) as long as it's small enough bites. My kids both really enjoyed feeding themselves, and only tolerated being fed spoonfuls of anything, so finger foods have been a staple in our house. :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I started my son on solids at 4 months, finger foods around 6. We started with cheerios (traditional), organic teething biscuits, and Gerber wagon wheels. Around 7-8 months I started giving him pieces of very soft carrot, potato, whole wheat waffles, french toast, etc. Anything larger than bite size you should cut up, at least at first.

Answer by missanc at 11:45 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I started finger and table foods at 6 months. Just dice up pieces so they can pick it up and small enough so they can easily swallow if it's not chewed completely.

And for the record...waiting to start foods until closer to 6 months goes for formula fed babies, too. Gailll seems to think her and her breastfeeding nazi friends seem to have the market cornered on some things that they don't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I didn't start table foods until my son was about 11months. There wasn't any real reason for this choice, it just sort of came about that way. Anything you give your child should be given in small bits, as to reduce the risk of choking. Only give the child soft foods that they can gum until they have teeth to chew it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2009