Would you take your kids to the doctor?

My 9 year old and 4 year old are due for their yearly physicals this month. Given the current flu virus situation, I hesitate to bring them into the office only to catch what might be there. I am not concerned about any health issues, they are both very healthy. Would you take your kids to a clinic that is full of sick people just to have your kids have their yearly physical or should I wait until spring time?

KathMW

Asked by KathMW at 11:02 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If you can get the first appointment of the day, before all of the germy sick people, then go ahead.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:03 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Sure. Just bring some hand sanitizer and have them wash their hands. If there are some sick looking people, try to stay away from them. You can't live in a bubble.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• No way...if they dont need it for school or to get into an activity I would wait for flu season to get over. Im not even stressed about the flu, but it will be concentrated there...y risk it?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Kids need yearly physicals? I guess my kids were sick so often and at the doctors so much we never did that. Three kids, no yearly physicals.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:09 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Are your kids in school? Do you even understand how many parents send sick germ infested children to school everyday? How many germs your children are picking up just touching surfaces at school? I wouldn't be so concerned about just the doctors office. Odds are they would pick something up at school vs. the doctors!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• You know they DO offer "masks" for people who have colds/flus and people who are afraid to catch it. I was at my docs recently due to the flu and asked for a mask. A lot of peopel had them on in the office too
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 11:11 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Our ped has a "sick" waiting room and a "well" waiting room. If yours does not, maybe you can wait in the hallway or something. Don't take them if you have to sit in the room with all the sick kids. We just went through that. Not only did my son take over a month (and 5 doctor visits) to get better, but then I got sick too.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:14 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• If there isnt a seperation for sick vs well then Id not take them til you feel more comfortable going there.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:20 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• There is no real reason to expose them, so I would NOT go in, you can wait.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:21 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I am well aware that my kids are exposed to germs at school. School is important and I feel in that case getting an education is worth the risk of getting sick. When it comes to the doctors, it is something that could wait a few month, that is all I am saying. I was only looking for opinions.
    KathMW

Answer by KathMW at 11:21 AM on Oct. 20, 2009