Doing chores for one month or more, what is a good compensation?

I know someone helping out a couple he knows. They're childless. They take Trips for one month or so. They have a farm full of animals & critters. So its quite a bit of work. To drive there Daily & take care of the household, errands, getting the feed & the Chores!! Every day no matter what! With a wife & 3 children at home. Including a newborn. He doesn't expect to be paid. But he's poor & needy. It seems everyone takes advantage of his kindness. So I'm curious. Do you think he should be paid? At least for his time, trouble, errands & gas to drive to & from etc.. What do you think is fair? Anything? Its not my place to say anything. But it upsets me to see this.

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 11:31 AM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would pay someone if they were doing it for me. A week of bringinig in the mail...I wouldnt pay, taking care of the dog for a short trip and I would probably bring back a gift...a month I'd say is worth $50 to $100 depending on the drive and amount of work involved. sometimes doing something as a favor pays off and they provide favors in return..so I would do it for free for a friend, but it doesnt always pay off.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• i would say about 75-100 dollars a WEEK! That is especially if he is doing the dirty work! If a person is mucking out horse and cow stalls, watering twice a day and feeding twice a day (not counting that certain animals may have to have a special diet) along with checking on the house, and doing other chores around the farm that is entirely not too unreasonable. If they were to hire someone to do the same job (ie a ranch hand) they would pay right around 1500 to 2500 a month, and that is for a SMALL ranch/farm. My parents have 6 horses and when they went to Thailand for two weeks they paid the neighbor kid 50 bucks for the two weeks JUST to feed the horses and let them out in the morning. They paid another person 250 dollars to muck the stalls, and groom them, exercise them and let them back in and feed them at night, that was for two weeks and only 6 horses not a whole farm full of critters!
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I would pay. We went on vacation twice and had teens (friends of our sons who we have known for years) and 5 days of watching the house and taking care of the dogs we paid them $100 each ($200 total). In Jan. when we go to NY and have a friend watch the house for a weekend we'll pay her $50. It sounds like this gentleman is very kind and that he's being takeen advantage of.
    Anonymous

• I would definately pay him for all of his hard work. He's basically their maid/farm hand while they're gone and should be paid accordingly. It's very generous of him to do this free of charge, but with all of the work and travel that he does he should be paid for it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2009