How can I get my brother and his ex-girlfriend to see that they treat my nephew like luggage?

My brother has a son that just turned 12 years old. My brother & my nephews mom are no longer together. They each have a new serious boyfriend/girlfriend. Basically I am concerned for my nephew because I feel he is treated like luggage. They provide him with his basic needs like food, clothing, shelter, etc. But he has been struggling in school and has been having academic problems for awhile but no one is helping him. They just ground him and move on. Also, when its my brother's weekend to have my nephew, he always has plans and asks me or my mom to watch him. It seems to me like my nephew is low on their priority list and my nephew is suffering. My brother is telling me my nephew is getting a bad attitude and I am just worried he is going to go down the wrong path(acting out, drugs, etc). How can I make them see this and do something!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• you can try to saysomething to them, but i doubt it will sink in. i would suggest that you and your husband be there for him as much as possible. if he lives close enough maybe talk to his parents about comming over to your house to hang out with his cousins and do his homework. also have your husband tell you nephew that he (nephew) c an always talk to him (hubby) about anything, without anger or judgement
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 10:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I took a Child Abuse and Neglect class in Spring. We learned that as long a a child has 1 adult in their life that cares for them etc, they tend to try harder and do better and not go down that path. You need to be that person! You obviously care about him a lot.
    Abbey3

Answer by Abbey3 at 10:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2009