How come no one is ever said to go to hell at funerals?

My great grandfather was an evil man. He was also a non-practicing Catholic. He was proof that demons exsist in most peoples minds that knew him. He beat and raped both his wife and his children. Refused to allow his children to eat for days on end sometimes and forced them to work his farm so he could go drink. He was violent, and drunk... If anyone deserved hell it's him.

But when he died the priest at his funeral said he was going to heaven... Are you kidding? If they let him in I'm thankful I'm not Christian! I mean, why is it that no one ever wants to say - Yes, this man is going to hell, once they die? Or is it just better to say heaven and let god decide?

Ive been told many many times that I'm going to hell. Yet, I have never caused harm to anyone. I do my best to be accepting, tolerant and kind. So why is it that I'm damned but he's not? Is it because he CLAIMED Christianity and I am honest enough not to??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because who would let a priest stand over their dead relative and say that?
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 12:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Really it is just something that is said to aide the grief of those still living. If you are a believer in the Christian Bible than you know that the only one who can judge whether or not a person will go to hell or not is God.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• If this man did all of these things, why was there a living soul at his funeral??? If I knew that someone had done the horrible acts you've described, I most certainly would not go to that person's funeral to "Pay Respects". If someone had enough contempt for a person to say, "Go to Hell", they should not be at the funeral. JMO.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• "Because who would let a priest stand over their dead relative and say that? "

Anyone that knew him. In fact when the priest said he was going to hell there was complete outrage. The funeral was taken care of long before he died. All his money was given to the church and the funeral was paid for an arrainged long before he died, because he knew no one that knew him would ever give him that much.

There were no tears! No one was upset when he died... But he was family, so we all went to the funeral anyways... Afterwards, we all went out to lunch and most people in my family won't even speak his name!
    Anonymous

• Funerals are for the living, it is meant to be comfort. If you think the person was evil why would you go to their funeral? The point of going is either to pay your respects to the grieving or to feel comforted by the service. If you are there for either purpose you don't want the MC to say the person was in hell.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Proverbs 2:21-22 (New International Version)
    21 For the upright will live in the land,
    and the blameless will remain in it;

22 but the wicked will be cut off from the land,
    and the unfaithful will be torn from it.

“The righteous themselves will possess the earth, and they will reside forever upon it.”—PSALM 37:29.

God will be the one to judge your granddad, i dont belive he'll go to hell, if God finds him wicked he wont be around. if he doesnt find him wicked, lets say he was mentally ill, maybe he'll allow him to live on earth, but that's God's decision to make. people arent going to say he's going to hell in a funeral, no matter how awful they were.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 12:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Ya, know, I could have written this. My GGF would beat my GGM until she passed out so that he could "F*ck his kids without having to listen to her bitch" as he told me once. (I was 8) He started to rape my gram when she was just 2 and the abuse never stoped. Sure, it changed form when she grew up and got married (at 16) but it never stoped. When my GGM got sick and was on oxygen he would take that tank until she would go make him his dinner... He was just plan evil! Through and through. He died about 10 years ago, since most of my family is JW he didn't have a religious funeral. And the fam doesn't believe that people go to heaven or that there is a hell, so this wasn't ever brought up.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• But I understand what you are saying. As a pagan witch I am usually told at least once a day that I'm going to hell... I don't even believe in hell, but I wish I did just so he could be there.

And to those that don't understand why anyone would go to the funeral... Men like this are still family. Evil or not you go. Not because you have respects to pay, not because you need comfort. But you go for closure! I needed to see him dead! I needed to know that this man couldn't hurt anyone else! That he was finally done hurting people I love... You go to these types of funerals just to know that the evil is gone. It's like people who go to the funerals of mass murderers or rapests... It's closure! Not comfort and definitly not for RESPECT!!!

OP, you want to chat... PM me!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It's more comforting to those still living to say that the departed is sitting on a cloud in heaven playing sweet sonnets on a harp, then to say the person is in hell being tormented.
    Jewelzgirl

Answer by Jewelzgirl at 1:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Ive been told many many times that I'm going to hell. Yet, I have never caused harm to anyone. I do my best to be accepting, tolerant and kind. So why is it that I'm damned but he's not? Is it because he CLAIMED Christianity and I am honest enough not to??

The First part of this Is easy!HA...For one You cant go by your Standerds, You have to go by Gods they are much much higher! You think you are a Good person but he is Perfect and In his eyes you are not, cause you are not a Chrisian and Following his way! So Its simple! Ha..Now I am not saying you are going to hell when you die, I am just saying if you dont follow god in your life time then..well he is the one to judge you when you get to face him!:) GOD BLESS
    Anonymous