Do you buy used clothes for your kids?

I cannot afford to buy lots of clothes for my baby but I certainly do not buy used clothes. Do you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yep. They grow too fast to buy brand new all the time.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 12:26 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Of course I do! Why be so snobby about it? It isnt like your can catch a disease from used clothes! You wash them of course before you wear them. I rarely buy new clothes. And yeah we can afford to buy new clothes but I prefer to buy used. Its really a form of recycling & you get more for your money. Why spend $100 & get three outfits (even for kids sometimes!) when you can spend that much & have dozens of outfits!? You're nuts if you dont buy used.
    Anonymous

• I do all the time. I live near several thrift stores and find a lot of stuff that looks brand new. Plus, I find a lot that still have origional tags on them. Why not?
    Anonymous

• Not only do I BUY used clothes for my kids, but I even accept FREE hand-me-downs from people! GASP! I guarantee you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you put my kids side by side with yours. I like to think I have pretty good taste - my kids are very sharply dressed and my pockets are still nicely padded when I'm done 'shopping' for them too :-)
    Anonymous

• Yep, all the time! I always have. I buy off of ebay, craigslist and garage sales, along with upscale children's consignment shops. And if I do buy new clothes, I very rarely pay full price. I shop a season ahead and buy the clearanced items. For example, I bought DD and DS some new outfits for next summer at Penney's for less than $5 each. Only for a special occasion have I ever paid full price.

IMHO, it's stupid and snobbish to buy all brand new clothes for a young child. When they are worn for such a short period of time. Why wouldn't you buy used clothes?

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Sometimes I shop the really good sales, with coupons-also hand me downs, plus I have 3 girls so they share alot. The way I see it is Freecycle.
    ***Spend money where it needs to be spent: Housing, food, get aways, you know other things, and my kids always look good. You would never know.
    If I can't use it hopefully someone else can, freecycle my kids clothes too, especially my sons.
    No shame in it either-as long as it is not junk.

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Sure do! My kids don't have much for brand new because we can't afford to buy all of them all brand new anymore! I LOVE getting hand-me-downs too. I hate the snobby snobbies who refuse to buy 2nd hand even though they can't afford all new. Grr.
    Anonymous

• I get things used that I would not be able to afford new like baby gap, gap kids, tommy hilfiger, children's place, ect I dont buy shabby stuff. Have you ever shopped in a consignment store? They dont accept crappy stuff.
    Anonymous

• Thanks to people like you who waste money on brand new clothes that are only worn such a short time, I can get really great used items for my kids! Thanks all you snobby folks who buy new clothes & spend way too much! Thanks to you I can get better quality & more items for my kids for less money!
    Anonymous

• I buy both used and new for my son and myself. Most of his clothes currently come from children's place because he is extremely hard to buy pants for. For some reason theirs fit him well and they are adjustable. I have problems finding him clothes in his size at second hand stores but I will buy them when I do find them. A good place is the salvation army if you have one our store is huge! When he was a baby the only new clothes he got came from my baby shower other than that it was garage sales and goodwill. They do have some really nice clothes in the second hand stores if you are willing to look and find them.
    evansmommy03

Answer by evansmommy03 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2009