What does God have to do with Constitutional rights?

Reading a recent plea from someone to vote "NO" on Maines ballot to not pass gay marriage there, I ran across religious ladies claiming God doesn't want this, because the Bible says it is wrong. What does the Bible or God for that matter have to do with the civil rights of our citizens?
If your religion says this is wrong, and you are against it, don't do it yourself, why should others be penalized for religious views on this subject?

Asked by older at 12:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • It goes back to the whole Idea of this being a "Christian Nation" therefore they think that their Biblical law should become National law. It's all bull. We are a free nation and religious beliefs should ALWAYS be separate from government laws.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• As long as we are " one nation under God" there will be religious undertones in politics.
    Anonymous

• We only became "one nation under God" during the 1950's and the "communist scare" when paranoia ran rampant. Looks like paranoia is returning.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Tell me then ladies what is the first amendment for? separation of church and state, it is there in black and while nobody seems to apply this though! Why is it even there?

Answer by older at 12:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• God's word came before the Constitution, the Constitution was made to appease the people but was written with God on mind. Most of the laws made years ago were made based on the bible.. we have gotten away from that and now the world is a lot messier than it was then.

That is why the uproar... when you turn from God as a nation.. there are consequences....
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• honestly the way i feel about God is that He should be in our daily lives... and that includes in how we run our countries.. however because this country isn't run on God's rules... then it doesn't apply on a large scale but it's up to the individual who believes to live by God's rules.

i personally dont' agree with homosexuality because like i said before i believe it is a sin which God has spoken about and has destroyed a whole nation for it as an example to us.. but i don't get involved in the politics of homosexuality. I also feel a great sense of discomfort when i see and hear of homosexual abuse. I think it's inhumane... i also wonder if it's part of a test, a punshiment or a trial for the people.

I don't vote.. because in this country voting for me.. is voting for people who do not uphold the laws of GOD and who try really hard to make this a secular place although they claim to Believe.
    I just stay out of it.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I have always felt this way. If creating a law violates the beliefs of your religion doesn't that actually cut in to the "freedom of religion" we are all supposed to have? Many religions greatly support gay lifestyles and marriage. So if we are going to deny someone's rights because one religion is against it, shouldn't we simply revoke the freedom of religion? Yes, that's sarcasm! I would never support any law that limited the rights of grown adults to make choices for themselves and don't understand why anyone would. Religion and Government should be seperate simply because ALL religions can not be represented equilly.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Shane does the first amendment mean anything to you?

Answer by older at 12:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It doesn't mean im for it .. nor does my not acting mean that i'm trying to impose upon what others believe is their right.. i just simply stand by my belief.

It's really hard sometimes to feel this way because i have a sister who is gay...but we both understand that i am trying to live my life religiously so we both live and let live.

I don't try to involve myself with hate or anyone...nor do i try to be accepting of it in a way that opposes what i believe.

i think for some...they think that acting against something like constitutional rights.. is the right thing to do.. I let God decide. it's not my place.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Most of the laws were made based on the success of peaceful societies with the rights of EVERY man in mind. It doesn't take religion to figure out that murder, greed, etc are wrong. If our country was REALLY based on Biblical law people would be put to the death for cheating on their spouse.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2009