Puppy eliminates at night/early morning in crate...

So our lab puppy, Eva, for about the last week or so has been pooping in her crate between 1 and 4 AM. I give her the last meal of the day at around 5:30, then take her out once or twice an hour until around 9:30. She'll start to whine around 11 to midnight, so I get up and take her out, and she'll pee. Then I go back to bed. My husband gets up at 4 to go to work, then he wakes me up to come and see her mess. I usually know what she's done beacuse I can smell it down the hallway. The mess sure makes for a poopy start of the day, if ya know what I mean. My question is, how can I prevent this from happening? I feed her around 2 1/3 cup food a day, she's 11 weeks, and around 13 pounds give or take... please help, as this is really getting to be bothersome. Thank You.

bun-n-ma-oven

Asked by bun-n-ma-oven at 12:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Pets

• 2 1/3 c a day seems like a lot of food for a puppy, even a lab. Maybe you need to leave her out longer when you get up in the middle of the night?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Um, honestly, it sounds like you're overfeeding her...our Lab pup only got a cup of food a day, because that's what she was fed by the breeder, and also what the bag of puppy food said. Put the food in her bowl in the morning, and let her graze on it through the day, and put the bowl up around 5. We never had a problem like that.
    Anonymous

• I considered that, feeding her less. Also, the the thing is , when I take her out before I retire, she'll poop, usually... Then she'll pee the other times. As far as house training goes, she dos well not to go in the house, witht he occasional slip up, ofcourse. And for food, maybe over feeding her by 1/3 cup, I think. Our Vet said not to let her graze eat, but thank you for the suggestion. :)
    bun-n-ma-oven

Answer by bun-n-ma-oven at 1:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It sounds like her kennel may be a bit too big for her too. Dogs won't poop where they sleep unless there's enough room to "get away from it" in the crate. What size crate are you using? If it's a crate for an adult sized dog, try blocking off part of the crate so she doesn't have the room to poop and maneuver around it.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:12 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I agree with deadhead about the crate being too big. Our crates came with a partition and we would partition it off so they only had enough room to turn around and lay down. Once they were reliably housebroken, then we would give them more room.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Her crate isn't too big. Ther eis only enough room for her to stand up and turn around in. She did it again last night. I stayed up until 1 AM, she pooped, then I got up at3:30AM, she peed but no poop. I'm thinkng that the problem could be the treats that I give her for training purposes... Thank you ladies for all of your respnses.
    bun-n-ma-oven

Answer by bun-n-ma-oven at 1:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2009