dog skin problem....HELP!!!!

my husbands dog is 14 years old and has chewed his skin bleading and bald!!i have tried so many different things, changing his food, baths with various kinds of pet soaps, anti-itch sprays,suppliments, even some natural anti-anxiety herbs. my husband has taken him to the vet several times and they have diagnosed him with 4 different types of dermatitis yet none of the perscriptions have helped him. anyone have a pet that seems to neuroticly itch? how do you stop it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Pets

• yes mam and this is actually happening to my husbands old dog bear he is 14 or 15 and hes a lab and chow mix. this happens its a type of skin disease and my other dog bites so much she gets scars but i put vaseline over it and keep her skin moist and seh dont bite at it anymore trust me ive tried everything and its not fleas either its dry skin. and bear was diagnoised with it too but theres nothing u can do his back is bald also. they are getting old im sorry hun theres not alot to do but put something thick like vaseline on it not too much just enough and keep it up there so it staysmoist
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 12:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Awww, poor pup... My cat had that prob. She'd bite and scratch all of the hair off of her back near her tail. My vet perscribed Prednisone (Sp?) It helped alot. I guess cats can be allergic to cats as well! ;-) Oh, and someone said that adding fish oil to the food might help. GL!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• my dog is going through it right now, but its gotten better sence we moved, she still bites and chews on her back but its not as bad and her hair is growing back. my vet said it was an allergy to something.
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 12:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Im not sure how big of an area you are talking about that he is chewing, but have you tried the yellow liquid stuff from wal mart called Hot spots or something like that? Its for different things like that ans you put it on with a cotton ball a couple times a day on the area he is chewing. My dog had a spot on her head that she kept scratching off til it was bald, the vet tried several things that didnt work so i got the hot spot stuff and in a week it was better and all her hair grew back and we never had another problem with it. I may be wrong on the name of the stuff, but if you go to the pet aisle in wal mart and look for the yellow liquid bottle, that should be it, and its not very expensive, usually around 6 bucks but a bottle will last a good bit of time, hope it helps you
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• poor puppy my dog has the same problem he's has allergy to black mold try Miracle Coat Skin Treament for dog's and oat meal bath like for kids chicken pox and Benudrill over the counter for allery reliff ask your vet how much to give them Jake get's 2 and half pills he's a lab mix american bull dog 68lbs.
    burger_king_kid

Answer by burger_king_kid at 6:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• My Springer did this and after blood testing we found she was allergic to dust and pollen. I chose to treat her with benadryl. She had frequent baths in the spring and summer and the house was alot cleaner!LOL!! The blood tests were expensive, but worth every penny.
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 11:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• My chow-chow mix is going threw this as we speak! (he is an old guy about 13-14yr)
    and I dont have the slightest IDEA how to fix it.
    I've also tried nearly everything!! every possible dermatitis, hot spot, mange shampoo, treatment, oittment, Ive even used stuff ment to treat problems for SEVERAL different kinds of skin disease common in liveststock (going out on a limp) and tested him for allergies (changed dog food about 10+ times now) Benadryll... everything (that we know of, so far)

But the different vets and Ive only came to the conculsion to put a cone on him durring the day (when we are gone) so he cant itch, give benadryll to him, keep the area's clean &hydrated so the hair can grow back and hope it works....

=(

if you find a random solution.... please let me know!!
    I refuse to give up on my dog too
    KalieGirl

Answer by KalieGirl at 1:24 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Poor dog - Did you try NuVET supplements yet?  They give a 60 day guarantee....

We have great luck with them!

here is the site:   http://www.apluspetcare.com/untitled4.html

they have a wafer vitamin and a hot spot tree tree oil spray - WORKS

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 2:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2009

• This is a weird answer but our neighbor told us and it worked on our dog. We used the generic yeast infection cream (yes, the one for women), just rub it on (use rubber gloves) and work it in a bit. We saw inprovement within a week and used for a couple weeks. Never had a problem after that, we asked the vet about it and he said if it works then use it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Oct. 26, 2009