How do you begin to start potty training?

My daughter is 18 months and is showing all the signs that she is ready. I have a potty and she sits on it whenever she wants. I just do not know how to begin to teach her how to use the restroom on it. Please help!!!!

destineemommy

Asked by destineemommy at 12:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 20 months old. I say, come on, let's go sit on the potty. I take off his diaper. He sits on his potty, and I sit on the toilet(not on the toilet as if I'm going!). We sit there until he goes. He claps, I clap. He then helps me "clean up". Diaper goes back on until next time. We are still in the beginning stages. They have a 3 day potty training plan, but I'd say that is for older toddlers. We are in the stage where I think we should just let them get used to the idea of using the big boy/girl potty. Good Luck!
    LittleLiam

Answer by LittleLiam at 1:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• lets see. can u tell when shehasto go? does she tell you when she has to go? ifher diaper isdirty does she let you know? can she take her diaper off? i put my dd to the potty as soon as shewoke up, a few mts after she had a drink or food. i also learn her cues. if shehadto pee she would grab her crotch or crossher legs, poop her belly. she has been potty train since she was 2
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2009