How much time do you spend holding your 7 month old?

Mine will not let me put him down. He is in my lap as I type, He has a jumperoo, and hates it. a playpen that he despises, a walker he also hates, a crib that has only been slept in a few times. It is not that I don't want to hold my son, he is my whole world but he don't even like to go to his daddy. All I want to do is be able to cook,clean,and go to the bathroom. Cleaning in the middle of the night is killing me. By the time I get everything done and go to lay down he wakes up. Please help, how can I get him to play alone for just a few minutes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you find out let me know, i have an almost 8 month old who is the same way! I hold her on one arm while im making dinner, sweeping, vacuming, brushing my teeth. And when I give her to her dad, she just looks at me and whimpers. Its crazy. but she's my last baby so I do it, knowing that one day I'm going to miss these times:)
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 1:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I do not hold my 7.5 mos. old very much. In the beginning she was like that but once she learned to crawl she could entertain herself. I say let him cry. He needs to learn to entertain himself a little and crying never killed a baby. Occasionally my daughter will crawl up to me and yell to be picked up and of course, I'll pick her up but I don't carry her around all day long. I think it helps that she is in daycare where they can't hold them all the time. She has also slept in her own crib since 2 mos., which has made her more independent.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• This is the prime age for seperation anxiety. But maybe he is lke my 6.5 month old and very high maintenance! I have to hold my son a lot too and he has to be in the mood to play in his excersaucer or playpen. He constantly wants to be mobile! I know how you feel hun....just remember it will pass! It won't be like this forever. In a few months you won't be able to keep up with him.
    bmwmom

Answer by bmwmom at 1:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Get a sling or other carrier

Answer by rkoloms at 2:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• My son is 11 months now and still a cuddle bug, but once they start crawling they get a lot easier! I spent a lot of time with him on the floor showing him how to take the rings off the stacker and put them back on, flip the switches to make the animals popup and then shut them, stack the cups and then take them apart. As he learned how to play, he would spend more time doing it. Also, if you need to go to the bathroom, there is no sin in putting your child in his playpen in front of PBS or Nick Jr. for 5 minutes.
    Do you have a kid in the neighborhood that you could "hire" for cheap - even like a 10 year old can entertain your child if you're going to be in the house and they work cheaper than an experienced babysitter. My baby's 8 year old sister is the best entertainment we could buy!
    Just remember - this time will pass and you will WISH he would let you hold him! :)

Answer by missanc at 2:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Went through the same thing with my daughter when she was this age for a couple months - she is now 15 months and well over that stage! Your little one just needs you right now! When she is ready to be more independent, she will let you know!

My BEST advice for you is to pick up some kind of pack, wrap or sling and carry your baby while doing housework and cooking (if you're not doing anything with splashing grease, etc.) I used the Moby wrap and an ergo and did all my household errands carrying her in it. She enjoyed it and I could still get what I needed to done! It's also great for walks, shopping, etc.

Also remember that the memories you will not be whether your house is spotless every day - so take a breath, appreciate the time you have with your baby when she actually wants you all the time, and let some things go. That being said, putting her down to go to the bathroom is perfectly acceptable.
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 5:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2009