about making laundry soap (please read the rest)

I read a post that was telling that borax did not need to be used around people with respitory problems I just really want to know if thats true cause I wanted to go green and that kinda stops me if it is unless there is something I can use in place of it

so my questions are is that true and is there something that can replace that if its true

happymama7

Asked by happymama7 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I have never heard that borax was bad for those with asthma, other than to be careful not to inhale it because it is a fine, white powder that could get lodged in the lungs. Just using it around someone with asthma does not mean they'll automactically get sick, though. In fact, borax is really good at killing mold spores, especially Aspergillus, which is known for triggering allergy & asthma reactions. Both my husband & son have asthma and I use borax all the time to clean around the house & in the laundry.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• If you want to make your own laundry soap. The Duggar Family has an easy and amazing recipe on their website. Just google the Duggar family for their site. I don't remember it, but you can also get to it through the tlc site.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• You don't want to use it dry and floating around in the air, once it's mixed in it's totally fine. You could always do the mixing part outside and wear a face mask if you're the one with asthma.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• rhonda is absolutely correct.

once it is dissolved, it does not give off harmful vapor that will agitate an asthmatic (or any other respiratory illness). it is when it is in a powdered form that you should be careful working with it.

my sister started making laundry detergent out of desperation (they have 5 kids), and two of hers are severe asthmatics (one of them had RSV when he was a newborn, almost died), and it has no ill effects on her wee ones. i believe that either you were misinformed, or misread the information.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• ok ya the post I read said what it was harmful to people with respiratory problems thats all it said

My little girl has heart & lung problems and the med she was one the first 9 months of her life made her lungs worse but they new it would there was no other thing to help get the fluid off her heart she also cant be around high potent perfumes or cleaners and is not suppose to be around chemicals

anyways I want to us the powder detergent cause It would be easier than having to mix water and melt stuff lol
    so If I mix this outside and leave it in a closed container It should not bother her when I just dump it in the washing machine

Another thing If anyone has any info about this bothering sensitive please let me know

thanks in advance everyone
    happymama7

Answer by happymama7 at 7:47 PM on Oct. 20, 2009