When you tell your kids to stop doing something...

My DS is 8 years old and I have almost lost my mind on several occassions! He doesn't listen at all and if I tell him to stop doing something, he continues for at least another minute. For instance, he was making this screech sound in the kitchen with me while I was cooking dinner. I said, Stop.. that hurts mommys ears. and he did it another few times. I finally have to yell to stop it! And it's this way about everything. I say it nicely first of course, and he won't do it until I yell at him! I'm so frustrated with him because he does it in stores now where I feel like, I'm going to yell and some dummie is going to call the cops on me for being mean! How do you make them do what you tell them to without having to get ugly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have a 7 year old and she wasnt listening to well. I made her write lines so when i speak she listens. So an example would be. "when mom tells me to stop i will listen. about 300 times. the next time you say lines. he will perk right up!!!
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 1:10 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• OMG -- you are describing my 7-1/2 year old!
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• the lines thing sounds pretty good... i would displine him and say go sit on ur bed no tv to games no toys no nothing and with his door open. and i dontknow how u feel about taking the door off its a little strict but if he continues to not listen i would take his door off and tell him no privacy until he can listen. or just dont let him play with anything until he says sorry and means it..
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 1:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I tell them once. If they don't do it, they go into the corner until they either stop doing what I told them to stop, or do what I told them to do.
    Anonymous

• I think you are describing most 7 - 8 year olds (and my 3 year old!!!!!!). I have a 7 year old and he's exactly the same way. What a difference between 6 and 7 with him. The ATTITUDE is really coming out. He will roll his eyes at me and when I get to the point of no return with him I have started to mock him. He HATES it. I know it's childish but it works with the eye rolling. I'm going to try the writing lines thing (he HATES to write!!!) maybe that will help. He has now started asking a question then says "oh nevermind." AAAAHHHHHHH He does it ALL THE TIME. Any suggestions on that??!!
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I have an 8 and a 9 year old. They know if I have to ask them a 2nd time they get 5 mins off their bedtime. It's automatic and I don't yell, I just tell them "5 mins off bedtime, now go take out the trash please." Sometimes they still moan about it, but not much - they knew it was coming.

Answer by missanc at 2:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I think you ladies need t try reading a book called DONT BE AFRAID TO DISCIPLNE not saying that you dont discpline bu its a helful book i found for my 4 yr olds behavior its written buy Dr Ruth Peters you use behavior charts to record the behavior the only way discipline works is if the conseqeunces (good and bad )are tied in what your child enjoys likegames toys etc.but youhav to be consistent or it wont work get the book and read it trust me its VERY useful.
    Redneckmomma19

Answer by Redneckmomma19 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• When you tell him to do something and he disobeys, don't wait till it becomes a fight ask once, wait 3 sec, then its time for discipline. I would recomend that time out is him standing with his nose to the wall at least 10 min, and that his time doesn't start till he is quiet and still.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Don't yell, whisper, when they become "hard of listening" whisper what you want them to do and then walk away. I don't know why but it works! As for the screech sounds tell him to make the sound in the bathroom with the door closed. At a store take him to the car and sit him in it,- tell him to screech his little head off and when he is done you will go back into the store. This is the important part stand outside the car ( so he is safe) and wait till he is done, then go quietly back into the store and finish your shopping. If he realizes it does not bug you he will come up with another button to push
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 11:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2009