A question for Christians, but all are welcome to answer.

Can someone please tell me why it is ok to send me a private message just to preach at me about how wrong the Catholic Church is? I wrote a journal post some time ago that talked about Catholic bashing. Some lady read it today and had the nerve to send me a message saying that she thinks the Catholic Church is wrong and to send her a message asking why and she'll be happy to explain it to me. But that isn't what really bothered me. What bothered me most is that she started out acting all nice and everything (which was still creepy since I had no clue who the heck she was), but then went into this whole thing about how wrong I am. THEN DON'T READ MY JOURNAL! How difficult is that! Just move on.

Why do SOME Christians think they have to do things like that? I didn't know who she was and she just attacked me from nowhere. How is this acceptable in God's eyes? I'd really like to know.

anime_mom619

Asked by anime_mom619 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was raised a Baptist. I don't agree with all of the Catholic ways--but the Catholics don't agree with all of my beliefs either. Do I think that gives me the right to bash the Catholics--NO. I don't think anyone has the right to bash any religion. Growing up, our preacher always said, "You can throw a pitchfork in Hell and hit a Baptist." It doesn't matter what denomination you are--what matters is if you Believe. And I have carried that with me to this day. You have a right to be offended. Religion is personal.
    Jmcelroy

Answer by Jmcelroy at 1:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• To be honest, I don't know. I personally just delete messages like that without even reading them.
    Jewelzgirl

Answer by Jewelzgirl at 1:12 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I think it's a mix between wanting to help others and wanting to be superior to them. Heavy on the side if wanting to be superior to them. Frankly they should worry about their own salvation rather than that of others. The Bible tells them to go out and spread the word, not to go out and tell others how or why they are wrong for believing differently.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I have NO clue where the notion that they have the right to do that comes from anime. My hubby is friends with somebody on facebook who asked to connect to me and very shortly after that he started challenging my status messages that had to do with my faith as a Catholic. I was blown away, he doesn't even know me how does he get off coming at me like that and basically trying to point out where I am "wrong"? My hubby says that so many of those people are raised that way, they think that's what God WANTS them to do, for them it IS acceptable in God's eyes. I have to agree with some of the questions about Christians judging others we've seen here recently, while I think to a certain extent that's not a bad thing and is something that God does call us to do some people take that to extremes.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 1:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I read the journal, and the bit about going after the troll on here who bashes Catholics all the time was rude, but you were very respectful throughout the rest of your post. I don't know why someone would be so rude as to start preaching to you in a private message... that's messed up. Maybe you touched a nerve when you said something about breaking someone's fingers? I dunno.

That said, freakin' awesome profile! lol. I am a HUGE Sword of Truth fan... in fact, that's how I met my husband! You're alright in my book, violent urges and all! lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It's not a Christian thing. It's a "welcome to cyber space where the keyboard emboldens the weak-minded" thing. You got the gift of 'salvation' about Catholicism from this one. Others get it over breast vs bottle, vax vs non-vax....see where it's going?

Some people feel the need enlighten the rest of us so we can be as amazing and wonderful as they are. Delete and ignore. Don't let one zealot make the rest of the group they claim to be associated with look bad.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Ati- I JUST finished the series, I LOVED it!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I am a Christian and I am Non-Denomanational...I try not to Judge people by What Religion they are or whatever! Its not my place and Some People dont understand that GOD doesnt like that at all..You arnt supossed to judge people by what they believe but people do!
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 1:31 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Ati, you're right... I forgot about that part (oops). I was a little (ok maybe a lot) mad. That was written back when we had a week or maybe even two weeks of non stop Catholic bashing in the R & B section here. I'd finally had enough one night and boom! my temper flared. Rather than letting it all out in the Q & A section I wrote a journal post instead. In the past I've received a couple of messages that were unwelcome and just deleted them as soon as I figured out what it was all about. No biggie usually. Maybe I'm just in a mood again or something, but it just rubbed me the wrong way. Especially since she was so nicey nice about it all. I don't want to tell someone else how to live and I guess it just bothers me to have messages sent. Keep it in the R & B section, don't take it to my page. But oh well...

I'd still like to know how God would think that's ok to do though...

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• i would just delete those messages.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 1:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2009